The Sewing Place

Grain line duffel coat

sewmuchmore

Grain line duffel coat
« on: October 26, 2017, 18:12:59 PM »
Thought you might like to see what i have made. Just need the weather to get a bit colder so i can wear the wool version. The cord one is the one i mentioned else where, that was supposed to be a quick version using left over fabric.
The pattern goes together beautifully but a word of warning if you decide to make it. The sleeves are very narrow (wish i had read the pattern reviews first), the coat was fine when i first tried it on after putting in the sleeves but only had a t shirt on. When i had slipped the lining in and with a jumper on they were too tight. Dropped the armscye  by an inch but didn't have enough fabric to re-cut the under sleeve so i just added a strip. This worked fine as i still had the match on the sleeve/yoke seam.
I made the mistake on the cord jacket of increasing the width of the under sleeve at the seams and as you can see this means the yoke seams do not match (this is what the Grain Line website tells you to do).
If you do make this i would suggest cutting the under arm sleeve pattern up the middle to make it wider.
The pocket on the wool coat should also be higher but again didn't have enough fabric to get a match so dropped them slightly. The pockets on the short version i have made smaller as the pocket looked odd the full size, they dominated the coat. I also put a zipped inside pocket into the lining of each coat.
Over all very pleased with the results but this is a pattern that cannot be rushed, 40 pattern pieces and nearly every piece of fabric is interfaced.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

Re: Grain line duffel coat
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 18:48:27 PM »
Wow. Fantastic. And will look great with those coloured tights!  ;) May I ask where you bought the toggles? I'm looking for something similar for a jacket I plan to make.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 19:14:27 PM »
They are super!  Love the colours and all the details, but 40 pieces - eek!  That's even more than some of my patterns!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 19:18:29 PM »
They're gorgeous - and so is your workmanship!   0_0   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 19:39:14 PM »
Gorgeous jackets, you are clever.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 22:34:43 PM »
They are great, well done. :P

Because you made them you are aware of all the little irregularities, but honestly, just looking at the photos it all looks just as thought it's how it was intended to be.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 22:58:28 PM »
They are fabulous, well done

Sewbee

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »
Those jackets are a real accomplishment! Well done! Forty pieces and tons of interfacing! I can't imagine how many hours you put into them but it paid off!

Holly Berry

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »
Fantastic workmanship and such beautiful coats. Love the colours and the details on the zip on the first one. I’ve just finished my first tailored coat and it’s amazing how much difference the interfacing makes, well worth the effort.
Procrastination get behind me

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 17:50:46 PM »
Wow. Fantastic. And will look great with those coloured tights!  ;) May I ask where you bought the toggles? I'm looking for something similar for a jacket I plan to make.
Toggles are by Prym and the only place i could find them was at Minerva (even the prym website shows them as being the only UK source) not cheap tho' at £4.49 each but they are pre-punched so they are so easy to sew on and they do 6 colours..
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 17:58:26 PM »
Thanks SSM. I'll take a look.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 20:16:34 PM »
Beautiful workmanship and so lovely to see colour being used so well.

Lizzy777

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 19:26:03 PM »
What a lovely jacket! So well made too. Must have a look at this pattern, makes up really well.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 20:19:57 PM »
Wow, lovely work and interesting use of fabrics.