The Sewing Place

Tartan/check coat, Vogue 8933 or Butterick 6497...

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Tartan/check coat, Vogue 8933 or Butterick 6497...
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 18:55:37 PM »
Well, all I've managed to do is cut out the pattern pieces of the Butterick, I will get "Dolly" out of her temporary storage place in the en-suite bathroom (actually in the bath, we don't use that one!) and pin the tissue bits on her tomorrow, but I think it will fit ok, especially as there's leeway for adjustment with the overlapping front.  I may just grade out the waist a tad.

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 19:08:10 PM »
It's nice that she gets to relax in the bath when she's not needed.   ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 13:59:15 PM »
So, just pinned the Butterick pattern on Dolly - there was me thinking it isn't that fitted at the waist surely - oh, it is  :(
Looks like I'll be making the Vogue then!! 

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 14:02:59 PM »
Although you could ease the waist out.... I spend my life doing that to patterns.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 17:31:38 PM »
I could indeed... and I may try it, and for possibly the first time in my life, I'll make a toile to check it - I wonder if one of the decorating sheets is clean enough...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
I'm getting excited now - I've just made a toile of the Butterick, and having made it wider at the waist and hips, it's fits well  :)
I even cut new tissue pattern pieces as I cut the toile, so it's all ready now to cut the tartan fabric - and attempt to pattern match, that could be fun...  :S

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 13:06:49 PM »
I'm sure you are doing this, or something like this, anyway B/S but when cutting tartan fabric that is folded, I find it useful to pin matching bits along the selvedge and also to try and pin a few matches in the middle along the length of the fabric -just helps the fabric not to wander too far when cutting double.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 13:09:48 PM »
I'm sure you are doing this, or something like this, anyway B/S but when cutting tartan fabric that is folded, I find it useful to pin matching bits along the selvedge and also to try and pin a few matches in the middle along the length of the fabric -just helps the fabric not to wander too far when cutting double.
Thank you, yes, I've done lots of googling and saw to do lots of pinning.  I'm just about to start now, wish me luck!

Tamnymore

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 13:36:58 PM »
I thought you might like to see some of my tartan creations  as inspirations so I've dug out a few I made. Excuse the 'creative chaos' in the background (and everything could do with a press!). This one is from a Burda pattern I traced and graded up (pattern long since lost!) and it worked OK except the shoulders are a wee bit big. I see I managed to pattern match across the princess seams so it is possible - though that might be more of an issue if you have to do a FBA.

The fabric is a lovely soft wool and is a nicer pinker shade than I've managed to capture!

Sewingsue

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 14:05:45 PM »
Lovely jacket, Tamny and very impressed with the pattern matching.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 16:12:24 PM »
That looks great Tamnymore, I hope mine turns out that well.  I've just cut the front pieces, I now need to try to match the sleeve heads in - so I'm sitting down for coffee and biscuits first!

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 16:14:16 PM »
Good idea - you'll need fortifying before you start!   :drink:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 17:20:46 PM »
It's cut out, I've tried very hard to match the princess seams and the sleeve heads, but may just have forgotten about the side seams  :o  :S What a plonker!!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 17:24:26 PM »
And I may have done the sleeves wrong - they are in two pieces and I matched the underarm seam towards the front, but then thought the back seam is possible more visible, although it's still kinda underneath-ish.  Oh well, I won't be seeing the back view  0_0

Tamnymore

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 17:28:08 PM »
Don' worry Bodgey. Much High Street clothing does not do pattern matching across checked fabric or fabrics with a regular pattern (probably to use less fabric)  so you can pretend that's what you intended. As long as your left and right fronts are fairly even, and your right and left backs are even then you should be OK if the sides aren't an exact match, and it will look fine. Also sleeves aren't so important.

Here's another tartan jacket I made - my Burns night jacket- rather bright so only taken out occasionally! I didn't manage to match the princess seams at the front although you may not be able to see. I don't seem to have matched the sleeve heads either! Also I can see places where it could do with some serious under stitching (hope RD's muv isn't looking).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 17:30:26 PM by Tamnymore »