The Sewing Place

Tartan/check coat, Vogue 8933 or Butterick 6497...

Bodgeitandscarper

Tartan/check coat, Vogue 8933 or Butterick 6497...
« on: October 28, 2017, 16:33:49 PM »
I now have the fabric and patterns, so need to make a decision - the nicely detailed Butterick and alter the collar to make it a longer pointed one, or the much simpler, but then possibly a bit shapeless Vogue?  I think I'm leaning toward the Butterick, but will have to make sure it will actually go round my, err, body-where-a-waist-should-be, and my hips.  Whichever I do, it will be slightly longer than hip length, I think...

The fabric is a lovely deep pink on grey, so I think it's calling out for some pink lining?

Tamnymore

Re: Tartan/check coat, Vogue 8933 or Butterick 6497...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 17:05:01 PM »
I like both patterns so you can't go wrong whatever you choose. I think I would go for the Vogue, for no other reason than it's going to be a heck of a lot easier to match the checks. The Butterick one has proncess seams so is bound to be harder work to match and may take ages to do. I don't think the  Vogue looks shapeless and one of the line drawings shows it in a check. I agree go for a lively lining such as pink!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 17:58:44 PM »
I prefer the 'fit and flare' of the Butterick, but wouldn't be up for a plaid version.  0_0

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 18:25:42 PM »
Depends on what you want to wear under it... the Butterick is quite fitted

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 19:20:23 PM »
I too think the Vogue style would be better suited to your fabric and think the
Butterick pattern is best suited to a plain fabric?

I just saw this pattern.

https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/nl6325#.WfTGKzOZMyk

If you have already seen it then sorry for posting it. View A, is what caught my eye and you could lengthen it easily  Collar could be made smaller too. Think its a nice style too if you don't particularly want close fitting coats?

But out of the two you are already considering, my vote foes to the Vogue pattern.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 19:59:55 PM »
I already have that pattern Lizzy, I've used it for fleece jackets with machine embroidery on them, love 'em!
This time, I'm looking for more of a coat.  My mind says do the Vogue, but my heart says Butterick... help!

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 20:14:20 PM »
I already have that pattern Lizzy, I've used it for fleece jackets with machine embroidery on them, love 'em!
This time, I'm looking for more of a coat.  My mind says do the Vogue, but my heart says Butterick... help!

I think you are much better to go for the less fitted Vogue pattern. I just don't think the Butterick pattern is suited to the tartan fabric you have bought tbh.

Aim to make the Butterick pattern in a plain fabric at some other time, then you have the best of both worlds so to speak!

Go with your mind it knows best on this occasion. :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 21:10:31 PM »
I know its an effort but you could toile if you are not sure on shape and fit and you could draw some stripes to see how easy they are to match on seams
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Missie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
I too think the Vogue style would be better suited to your fabric and think the
Butterick pattern is best suited to a plain fabric?

Exactly my thinking!

And yes, to a lovely pink lining!

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
I much prefer the Butterick pattern, so long is it fits you properly.  I don't like the way the Vogue one opens out at the bottom.

Use the Vogue one as a guide for altering the collar.

You can see from the illustration what the Vogue pattern looks like with a plaid fabric, the Butterick will achieve much the same effect.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »
I would alter the cut of the underneath front so it doesn't open out at the bottom, I don't like that either.  That Vogue would be so simple to make, but looks almost totally straight up and down, which I'm not keen on .  I still prefer the Butterick, and how this for an idea - cut the side panels on the bias??  No pattern matching needed at the princess seams then...

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
I’m just thinking would  Tilton style tops go under a fitted coat?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
Good point!  But then I also have a whole load of jersey loose/flared tops too  :)  And I'd make sure the fitted coat won't be toooo fitted.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 15:21:08 PM »
If you really prefer the Butterick, Bodgey, I would just go for it and bite the bullet on the pattern matching. You could do the side bits on the bias but that would probably take quite a bit more fabric. You are certainly skilled enough to take the tartan challenge!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 15:36:07 PM »
Another vote for the Butterick pattern.  :D I like the Vogue pattern as well but prefer the softer line of the Butterick.