The Sewing Place

Too many patterny things

Tricia

Too many patterny things
« on: November 01, 2017, 13:54:34 PM »
Delving into the wardrobe this morning, it occurred to me again, that I have too many patterny things (is that even a word!  >:)). 

I guess I could mix and match all the stripey things, dotty things, floral things and downright jazzy stuff and announce myself "on trend" but, that would be silly, wouldn't it?

Obvious answer of course, is to get out the sewing machine and start making some plains to go with all the patterns but, yep, I have two shelves of patterny fabrics!

Is it just me  -<

Kad

Re: Too many patterny things
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 14:09:39 PM »
Perhaps!

I have a wardrobe that is decidedly 'plain', I've been doing my best this year to introduce some patterns, but not always successfully  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 14:29:17 PM »
Totally understand....

It's always more fun to buy/make patterny things.  Plain things, although eminently useful, can be terribly boring.

I found that out recently when I made black and white trousers, but had difficulty finding a plain black or white top to go with them.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 15:21:41 PM »
I have started prepping for a massive clear-out of my fabrics because so many are heavily patterned.

I realised recently that my love of fabric patterns doesn't match up with anything I'd actually wear. I just finished a dress in a bright print, and I hate it. I love the fabric when folded but on my body, horrible. Luckily my friend loves it and it's a loose fit therefore fits her OK.

I've started photographing ready to purge nearly all my prints (look out for it guys) and pare back my stash. I noticed what is most lacking is high quality plain colours. I almost never buy plains, too excited by fun prints. Yet the majority of what I wear is plain.

So having a bit of a rehaul. Plain solid colours, mixed with some simplistic and classic prints (houndstooth, simple stripes, polka dots), far more what my wardrobe is really like. Florals look so nice on the roll but when I think of my wardrobe, not a single floral pattern in sight.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 16:01:36 PM »
Yes I'm very patterny but I love patterns so I'm going to carry on wearing them, including all that tartan! I occasionally wear a plain black jumper with a patterned skirt and I have a lot of plain coloured trousers and leggings that I wear with patterned tops. I have a load of Liberty tana lawn to work through - I bought it before Standfast and Barracks gave up selling Liberty, sob, so I'll be sticking with the patterned stuff for a while yet!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Tricia

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 16:35:13 PM »
Ah, so not just me then  :)

I guess when you see fabric in a shop or on a stall, your eye tends to notice the patterns rather than the plain fabrics.

I must admit I am a little bit envious of Tamnymore and her stash of Liberty tana lawn.  8)

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 16:43:52 PM »
You can still find Liberty lawn 'relatively' cheaply, Tricia. Look on eBay. Abakhan sells some at £10pm and  they are due for their winter sale soon. Even Liberty sometimes does a half price sale of their lawn.

Fiona M

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 16:51:01 PM »
I am also (tragically) attracted to bright colours and gaudy patterns!  However, on my travels in the smart capitals of Europe, I've observed that the best dressed ladies seem to favour plain and sober colours.  *sigh*
Looks like it's time for 'the big sort out' here, too.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 17:19:21 PM »
Errr Fran, I don't suppose you have anymore of that lovely Grey ?? do you ??? or know where you can get some ???

What size quilt were you calculating to make from that stash by the way???

(I think I should have asked those questions the other way round, Do I sound desperate ??)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 17:24:45 PM »
The grey is Klona Solids I got it from Eclectic Eccentricity or so I thought but I haven't been able to find any shipping note in my emails. However they're a great shop I bet if you sent them a scrap they'd happily colour match it for you.

My bed is super king so that's what I was aiming for which I then realised is a ridiculous idea for one's first quilt  0_0 Hence the issues. I think in the end I decided to make it a sort of bed runner but to hang the width of the superking but just cover the feetsies. This is what we have at the mo anyway (I made a "quilt" which is just five wide stripes. It was a double bed size and so it's just big enough to go across the bottom of our larger bed. I sometimes pull it over just myself when the boyf doesn't want a thick duvet but I need more warmth).

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 18:16:31 PM »
All my clothes are plain, at my age and at a size 14 / 16 I wouldn't ever dare to wear anything patterned  :o
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 18:18:20 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 18:28:02 PM »
I take a significantly larger dress size than you, Lowena and am of a similar vintage and it hasn't stopped me sallying forth in tartan, big flowers, paisley pattern whatever, although admittedly not all at the same time! I guess it's just a matter of individual taste, or maybe lack of it in my case!! I'm determined to grow old disgracefully.  :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 18:59:38 PM »
All my clothes are plain, at my age and at a size 14 / 16 I wouldn't ever dare to wear anything patterned  :o
I is confused, are slim people not supposed to wear patterns?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 19:12:40 PM »
I make plain things - and patterned things it seems...

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 19:24:07 PM »
Maybe Lowena does not realise she is lovely and slim!  :D