The Sewing Place

Too many patterny things

Tamnymore

Re: Too many patterny things
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 13:38:44 PM »
Yes I agree. Fit on the shoulders especially, and also the bust are key. That's why well drafted patterns which don't make the shoulders huge as they increase in size are worth looking out for. It's why that Marcy Tilton cirque dress is so good (I've made a couple and Bodgey must have made about a dozen of these by now!)

I guess if you are taller and with a large frame then larger prints are OK. A smaller person might feel swamped in a large print... maybe. But I don't think there are hard and fast rules. I wear horzontal stripes too!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lowena

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »
I have regular size shoulders but a large bust, so things are often tight across there, or they fit on the bust and look like tents ... no wonder I don't have many clothes  :'(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
Like a lot of people you need a full bust adjustment (FBA) done to the "standard" pattern pieces before a garment is cut out.  Not many RTW sources do that!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
Hmmm... true, looks like I'll carry on with my meagre wardrobe then  :'(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewbee

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 17:14:16 PM »
I have regular size shoulders but a large bust, so things are often tight across there, or they fit on the bust and look like tents ... no wonder I don't have many clothes  :'(

That's my problem, too, Lowena. I'm browsing for patterns at the moment and it's so difficult to decide what won't make me look bigger when the patterns I like are on thin models!