The Sewing Place

Jones Model VX880

Tricia

Jones Model VX880
« on: November 01, 2017, 14:11:19 PM »
Mum has gifted me her old Jones machine (VX880) as she no longer sews.  The machine has been well looked after and the only thing missing is a manual although the machine is straightforward to use.

I have a modern machine but mum's machine is particularly sentimental as I remember being school age when I went to John Lewis at Oxford Street with dad to buy it.  The lady there recommended it and we carried it home on the bus.  Now, all these years later, mum has passed it to me.

Does anyone else have the same model?

Oh, and if you happen to see a users manual anywhere for it, please let me know  :)

b15erk

Re: Jones Model VX880
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 14:31:24 PM »
I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction shortly.  Many manuals are online, and a lot are free.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Tricia

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 16:29:16 PM »
Hi b15erk

I haven't been able to find one online for this particular model.

Is that a Singer 427 in your profile pic?  My dad bought me one of those years ago, but it is long gone now  :)

maliw

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 17:10:00 PM »
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Tricia

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 13:45:58 PM »

I had already looked there but at the time couldn't find the right model but I see it is available now.  Thank you  :)

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 14:12:16 PM »
Tricia, the sewing machine in my avatar is a 611g which I love.  I bought it from a charity shop, and when I got it home, it would only do a straight stitch.  Several weeks, and a lot of head scratching, and it showed signs of recovery, and it is now one of my favourite machines.

It does a nice chain stitch, lovely buttonholes, and can use two needles to make a twin stitch.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to sing its praises!  ;)

Jessie

eta, glad you now have a manual for your machine.
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 14:24:11 PM »
How are you doing? It's the same machine as Brother VX880, and there's a free manual here.

You likely need to give it a few turns of oiling and test sewing to get it up to standard again. There's illustrations on how to clean and oil it. The top comes off, the race and shuttle in the bobbin area probably needs attention, as well as under the throat plate. It looks like plasticy machine made in the  1990s. I think it will be a bit noisy, because of a similar Brother machine I once had my hands on, but hopefully it will do the job. It might even surpise.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 19:53:53 PM by arrow »

SingingSinger

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
I have the Brother VX855 which is quite similar, and was also my Mum's machine  :vintage: :)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)