The Sewing Place

Interfacing question

Bodgeitandscarper

Interfacing question
« on: November 01, 2017, 16:27:16 PM »
I know there's all sorts of stuff for interfacing coats, but what I actually have is iron on medium (possibly light) weight or iron on heavy weight, so I'm presuming the heavy weight for the wool mix fabric, but is ironing it on going to be ok?  Or shall I just sew it in?  Can I even just sew it in?  I am obviously after a bodge it solution  :D

Francesca

Re: Interfacing question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 17:33:49 PM »
The weight of the interfacing doesn't necessarily match the weight of the fabric. For example you might want to use the extra heavy stuff to stiffen cotton for homewares.

I wouldn't necessarily use the heaviest interfacing for a coat. If you're looking for a bodge-it solution I would consider the sew-in medium plus possibly something else out of stash. When I made my Mum's mac coat I used light stretch interfacing at key areas (collar, cuffs, hem) and then interlined with just plain old unwashed calico. You can use lots of different fabrics for coat interlining. See if you have anything appropriate and play around holding the weights together until you get what you want.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 18:17:52 PM »
Interlining?  That isn't in Bodgeit's dictionary  :P

Thanks for the thoughts though, still wondering if the fusible interfacing will be ok, as it's a twenty mile round trip to the fabric shop to get anything else  :o
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 18:19:45 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 22:42:03 PM »
Where are you putting the interfacing? As Francesca says the weight of the interfacing isn’t dependant on the weight of the fabric but how much structure and shaping you need.

So the heavier interfacing is for lapels/revers, under the roll line on a collar and shoulders. Lighter weight is for jacket/coat fronts.

It also depends on the style of the jacket/coat and whether the style is proper tailoring, or to stabilise the fabric.

I have just made my first tailored coat using a book “Tailoring” from Creative Publishing. I’ve also just bought the Alison Smith Craftsy course on Structure and Shaping. They are both great for learning but agree that find the right interfacing, especially on the Internet is difficult. Gill Arnold sells a Speed tailoring starter pack, which includes different weight interfacing, tapes and shoulder pads for £20.

For your coat I would cut 4” squares of the fabric and fuse the interfacings and see what the feel is like and whether it’s what you want. If it’s not structured enough you could then try fusing another piece on top again.
Procrastination get behind me

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 22:52:37 PM »
I would use the fusible if you already have it. Ironing it on will keep it in place if nothing else and it will end up being sewn in anyway. If it does come away from the fabric in wear it won't matter - it will simply become sewn in!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
Its Butterick 6497 https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/b6497-petite-jacket-and-coats-with-asymmetrical-front-and-collar-variations#.WfrXAGh-pPY so no lapels and the collar is quite soft.  The pattern just calls for interfacing the front centre panels and collar, so I think I'll see how the heavyweight feels when I iron it on, but use the lighter one for the collar.

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
Attached is a very basic diagram of interfacing a coat. The sections A are the lighter weight interfacing and C the heavier weight to strengthen and shape the shoulder to reinforce the shoulder. Nearly all women have a hollow just under the front shoulder and this heavier weight allows the fabric to skim over this. Ignore B and the tape on the roll line this shows a revere, just take A upto the CF.

As for the collar, although soft it rolls. The roll line will either be marked on the pattern or you will have to work it out, or is it on a collar stand? If it’s a collar stand fuse it with the heavier weight but if not you’ll have to mark one. Mark up the CB of the collar about 1 to 1.5 inches and curve round to the front edge. If you fold the collar over your hands and then curve round as if it’s round your neck this should give you an idea if it’s in the right place. The bottom part of the collar up to the roll line is in heavier weight and the top part is in lighter weight. Only the under collar is interfaced usually but if you want the collar a bit stiffer interface the upper collar in the lighter weight. The lighter is cut on bias and the heavier on the grain.

From experience I wouldn’t use fusible as a sew in as I’ve found that it makes the seams stiff because you can’t pair down as you would a sew in and also when you come to press, the fusible attaches to the fabric and bubbles can form. All fusible interfacing shouldn’t go into the seam allowance.

Another tip from experience interface all pieces before sewing the seams. I didn’t when I made my coat and couldn’t get the interfacing to lie flat. The front was in three pieces, so I thought sew it together then interface the whole lot, didn’t work. The same goes for darts, interface around the dart  markings and then sew.

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:06:41 AM by Holly Berry »
Procrastination get behind me

Lizzy777

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
Its Butterick 6497 https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/b6497-petite-jacket-and-coats-with-asymmetrical-front-and-collar-variations#.WfrXAGh-pPY so no lapels and the collar is quite soft.  The pattern just calls for interfacing the front centre panels and collar, so I think I'll see how the heavyweight feels when I iron it on, but use the lighter one for the collar.

The pattern does call for a sew in interfacing and I would go with what the pattern states. Holly's post is very good advice in this matter.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
Oh dear, I have gone for the bodge it option of iron on, I probably should have made that 20 mile round trip to get some sew in...  But it feels ok...
Never mind, I'm about to start sewing now.

Thank you everyone for your advice - which I may not have followed, but I'm working on the theory of no-one said "NOOO - you can't use that!"