The Sewing Place

stitch speed

jk1066

stitch speed
« on: November 07, 2017, 13:55:49 PM »
I would like a home machine that goes a bit faster than mine - an elna 6003 - I'm not keen on getting a really large industrial machine sitting in a huge and very heavy table . Are there any makes and models that have a more powerful motor than the usual  one that comes with a domestic machine.? Indeed is there any modification that can be made to say an older metal singer to increase speed. Any ideas on this?

StitchinTime

Re: stitch speed
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 14:07:07 PM »
Janome and Juki have straight stitch only machines that offer 1600 spm and 1500 spm, respectively.
http://janome.co.uk/janome_products/model-1600pqc/
https://jukiuk.com/shop/juki-lockstitch-sewing-machines/tl-2000qi/

If you want a greater range of stitches and are prepared to go for a slower machine, then the Janome Memory Craft 6660P has 1000 spm and 400+ built in stitches.
http://janome.co.uk/janome_products/memory-craft-6600p/

arrow

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 15:36:38 PM »
A Singer 201 is said to run over 1100 s.p.m. (from the Sewalot site).  I don't think mine does, mine runs a tad slower than my 99 for some reason, both have the same motor. I guess the motor on mine could do with a thorough clean and regrease, but I haven't needed higher speeds. I don't know if there's any point in fitting on a faster motor for me, I like the low noise motor, but some of the new replacement motors are faster.

The old Berninas has about the same max s.p.m. and dependably with the original motor setup. I don't think of my old Bernina 730 Record as slow, it's faster than many newer machines. It's only for some types of zigzaging I floor the pedal if at all. If you find a 740 Favorite (and related models with the rotary hook) they are speedier and stronger. I think the 740 has 1300  or 1400 s.p.m, and it can handle the speeds. It's a flat bed and behaves differently than the freearm models (which has the occilating CB hook).

The old Elna Supermatic is measured to reach 1500 s.p.m by a couple of members of the vintage Elna group. These have internal motors and I don't think there's any point in trying to replace it or speed this model up. The stitch speeds are measured after a thorough clean and fix up.

I have worked on a few modern machines (current models still in production), some of them are slower than my vintage machines. I'm guessing around 1000 s.p.m is the average speed on a domestic machine (both vintage and new). A lot of the modern medium range models is listed at maximum 800 s.p.m. I can't find anything specific on your Elna. Some modern quilting and embroidery models boast of having between 1.500- 3000 stitches per minute, but you have to search out specifically to find these speeds. They are in the pricy range too.

The maximum speed on smaller domestic machines are on light cotton fabric, heavier and denser fabrics will slow maximum speeds. I personally have a limit to what I find practical when it comes to speed, and for anything like clothes and neat stitching a long curtain edges I don't go above medium speed. I floor the pedal on my 201 some times, but as mentioned I think it's around 3/4 of it's optimal speed. It's hard to compare models by motor amps and stitches per minute, but it gives a rough guide. You cannot trust the specs given on replacement motors on ebay, but they might still be good. 

Roger on this forum has this neat vintage industrial in a small cabinet. It might be a high speed model, not too large, and I am envious. I can't remember the model number.

The standard Singer belt driven motor for domestic machines wasn't very powerful with its' 0.3 amp, all the model 15s and 201s had this motor. It stitches anlong at a nice speed though, very pleasant an less noisy than many newer machines. The old Pfaffs and Husqvarnas generally had a stronger motor (at least the rotary hook models), and I think some had an extra strong motor.

Edit, here's the thread on Rogers machine, I think this is the one in a nice brown cabinet; not too industrial looking at all.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 19:10:33 PM by arrow »

arrow

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 17:48:18 PM »
I have to add that stitch speed isn't saying much on how the machine is to work on. Some where on the web there is a stitch test done on an old 66 (with the occilating hook); their test set it to 1019 s.p.m. I would say this is on the speedy side for a 66. Several people report this model as a favorite, stitching effortlessly through layers of fabrics better than a lot of newer machines can. A 201 should be about the same, but even smoother and capable of more speed.

The motor is as mentioned a separate factor; the standard Singer motor on the old straight stitcher is 0.3 amps. On cast iron models you will find Pfaff and Electrolux (Husqvarna) 0.6 amps motors, maybe higher. I think the green Husqvarna zigzaggers have stronger motor. It will generally give more speed.

Some of the old Cresta 1950s and 60s models (made by Lada) is reported to have 1600 s.p.m, and I'm guessing some old 50s and 60s Pfaff, Adlers and Gritzner models are up to the same. My point is really, with a bit of research a speedy vintage models should be within reach.

I it's hard to tell bragging from reliable stitch tests on the web, but compared to other machines some of the grey Pfaffs are speedy, 260, 320, 360. Some of the more trustwrothy referances list 2000 s.p.m. The motors on these are twice as strong as the basic standard of the time.  These have some of the strongest motors on portable machines, around 1 amp. Any stronger than this they tend to be permanently fitted to a table. The green Husqvarnas 19, 21 are speedy too.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 20:59:59 PM by arrow »

jk1066

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 18:40:10 PM »
Thank you so much for such a lot of information. I think the way to go for me must be to try and find an older more powerful machine and see how I get on with it. My elna is a nice machine with some good features and some fancy stitches. That said I think I can honestly say I have hardly used any of them other than the straight stitch. I have an overlocker which works well so don't need the zig zag very often. Motor size must be a fairly good indication of speed and power so I will start hunting some models down and be patient and wait and see if anything turns up.
Many thanks