The Sewing Place

Japanese Sewing Patterns

Tricia

Japanese Sewing Patterns
« on: November 07, 2017, 14:04:42 PM »

I have several Japanese sewing books which I love leafing through.  I really like the simple but quirky styles but wonder how they look in real life. 

A Google search finds a couple of examples and whilst a blouse did not turn out great there is a tunic type dress which looks really nice. 

Of course, the instructions are written in a different way to how we are used to but they look straightforward.

I really like this shift type dress and it looks a very simple make and I also like the plaid dress which I think would be lovely in a cosy flannel fabric with opaque tights and ankle boots. 

I have some cheap fabric to play with so I think I will have a go but, if anyone has made either these dresses or something similar or if you simply have some advice before I start cutting, that would be great.   :)

Iminei

Re: Japanese Sewing Patterns
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 16:29:37 PM »
Check the sizing before you cut Tricia.

There was an unfortunate incident where, thinking I could sew, I tried to make a drape drape top ....
it was teensy (and I'm not big) and a complete disaster from start to finish!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tricia

Re: Japanese Sewing Patterns
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 13:30:39 PM »
Thanks Iminei.

Yes, I noticed the sizing.  I was going to use some cheap but surprisingly lovely check fabric which cost under £5 but have now decided to use the cheap but not so lovely fabric I have stashed in the cupboard so even if it is a fail at least there is the upside of a bit more space on the shelf  :)

My plan is that I can play around with the pattern and get the right fit and look before I use a nicer fabric - if all else fails, the books have some nice photos  :(