The Sewing Place

Coat Pattern

Sewbee

Re: Coat Pattern
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
That coat is lovely, Acorn!

I agree with what you say about outerwear colours, though. I am going to see if I can sew a tunic (ending about 2-3 inches above knee) with coloured tights or leggings but the style and colour of such an outfit clash with my outerwear!

Softshell sounds perfect and cosy, too. I'd love to use it for a car coat and join the sew-along but I am only beginning to sew again after a ten-year break and my shape/size has changed. I think I will have to skip this particular sew-along until I get my fit perfected with a few easy tops. Gosh, I am not even sure what size pattern to buy yet but I know I will have to do an FBA. I think I know how to do that so long as the pattern has traditional darts.

Once I get my fitting down pat, sew-alongs here I come!!

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »
I have a sample of some amazing softshell from activewear fabrics. It's a lovely mottled blue on the outside and fleecey on the back. It's £20 a metre though but lots of technical fabrics are expensive. I planned to make a fleece from a Jalie pattern to wear under my gilet for shooting/outdoorsy stuff.

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 17:29:06 PM »
Ooh - oh people with much more experience of coat making than me...

This Vogue pattern is supposed to be for gabardine or raincoat fabric, but it is lined and loose fitting.

Can you foresee problems if I were to make it in my wool-mix fabric, with no belt, a bit shorter, maybe with buttons instead of the tab thingies, and with the back flap sewn down rather than with that tab thingy?

On the face of it, it doesn't look anything like what I'm after, but the bones seem to fit.   -<

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 19:13:06 PM »
I like that duffle coat - Simplicity 8470 pictured above.

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 20:20:19 PM »
Nice Vogue pattern, Acorn. Half price this weekend! Just to note that toggle closures   can be quite expensive to buy.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewingsue

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 20:59:59 PM »
I love that raincoat pattern. Partial to hoods and that one makes a hood look stylish.

Not sure about tackling a coat though and I suspect the material would be expensive.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Vegegrow

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 21:38:49 PM »
Acorn .. not sure about the crossover front ...  is it crossed the wrong way left over right? and in wool it will be quite bulky
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 20:59:52 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 16:20:16 PM »
Vege - yes, the crossover is making me think twice - although with the top button/toggle undone it should be less strangle-y.  Their model looks as though she has a very long neck, too - mine is pretty average in length, but I might be able to adjust the way the hood is attached, depending on the pattern, of course.

Tamnymore - I do like toggles, but I think I'd probably want nice big buttons for this coat.  Given the price I think I might order it in hope and see whether it looks as though it would work - if not, maybe I'll make a raincoat sometime.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 16:22:08 PM by Acorn »

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 17:27:51 PM »
I seem to have ordered patterns for the Simplicity duffel coat

and the Vogue raincoat

I think the intention is to compare the way the two hoods fit, and the size and shape of the bodies and make a coat that is largely one with possible tweaks from the other.

Sewingsue

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 13:01:50 PM »
Just read DF's latest blog post.
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/11/30/hey-mac-a-rain-a/
It looks as if she is going to tackle that vogue coat.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 13:43:42 PM »
Ooh - thank you Sewingsue, I'll keep an eye on that.

I've realised that I can't combine the hood from the Vogue pattern with the body from the Simplicity one because the hood is a continuation of the front panels (which is pretty clear from the diagrams, and I should have realised).  However, I do like the pattern and expect I will make it at some point.

For now I think I will have to adapt the Simplicity pattern for this particular coat.