The Sewing Place

FLASH SALE! All Patterns HALF PRICE and Post Free!

toileandtrouble

FLASH SALE! All Patterns HALF PRICE and Post Free!
« on: November 10, 2017, 14:29:04 PM »
Sewdirect having a sale until Midnight on Sunday 12th.  Far be it from me to enable more purchasing, information only!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sewbee

Re: FLASH SALE! All Patterns HALF PRICE and Post Free!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 16:51:14 PM »
Great news!!! I will definitely indulge. :)

Is this membership worthwhile? What is the magazine like? I haven't bought any UK sewing magazines because they are expensive and sealed so you can't glance before buying.

http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Membership.html

It seems its worth joining and since I need to stock up on patterns I think I should do it.

How many patterns does everyone buy at any one time in the UK? It's easy to buy 5 or even 10 in the USA because they are very inexpensive but not so here.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 17:08:04 PM »
Sewbee, IMHO it isn't worth joining up with Sewdirect as the normal reduction is 40% plus £1  postage per pattern unless you spend over £20. Also I don't think the mag is all that great. I wait for offers such as this one or one of the half price offers that cycle round throughout the year. Pretty much all the UK shops that stock patterns run the standard offers. If I find 3 Vogues I like I buy them when there is a sale on the US site. I'm a ClubBMV member so there is an extra reduction and they take about 7-10 days to arrive.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 17:18:22 PM »
Sewbee, IMHO it isn't worth joining up with Sewdirect as the normal reduction is 40% plus £1  postage per pattern unless you spend over £20. Also I don't think the mag is all that great. I wait for offers such as this one or one of the half price offers that cycle round throughout the year. Pretty much all the UK shops that stock patterns run the standard offers. If I find 3 Vogues I like I buy them when there is a sale on the US site. I'm a ClubBMV member so there is an extra reduction and they take about 7-10 days to arrive.

That's interesting. I hadn't considered getting patterns from the USA because I thought the postage would rule out cost savings. And do you have to pay customs duty? Do you find it's still cheaper to get them from the USA even after adding postage? if postage isn't bad, it might be possible to take advantage of the really good sales there. I'm not a ClubBMV member but can certainly join if it's worthwhile.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 17:43:23 PM »
If your purchase is over £15 in value you may have to pay customs (£8 fee plus 20%). When  Vogues are on special offer on the US site they are $5.99 each  which makes $4.79 after the CubBMV reduction. The postage to the UK is $15 for three patterns. So 3 Vogues on offer plus postage works out at £22.50 -£23 depending on the exchange rate which compares quite well with Vogue when on offer in the UK. And as you know there are many more sale days on the US site.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 18:44:10 PM »
I also received an email from Sewdirect.   I shall pass by on the other side. 0_0

At Sewbee, I agree with Tamnymore in that it's not worth the bother of subscribing.  The various web pattern shops have regular sales at the full 50% discount and probably advantage postage for, say, three patterns.

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 19:07:43 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think I'll just buy from the UK - and instead of subscribing to a sewing magazine, I'll just buy the odd sewing book instead.  :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
I can recommend this

as a good sewing reference book. 

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
I can recommend this

as a good sewing reference book.

Sainsbury's had that book a few months ago. I was going to buy it but didn't. Maybe they will have it back for Christmas. I think it was probably cheaper than elsewhere, too - £15. It had a red cover but no dust jacket.

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 13:09:58 PM »
The red cover is this

and is a general sewing reference book.  'Step-by-step' is devoted to clothes making.  I have both books amongst my little collection of reference books, but turn to 'Step-by-step' most often.  Both titles regularly turn up in the Works bricks and mortar shops, especially around this time of year.

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 15:26:37 PM »
Thanks, Utta. I didn't realise they were two different books. There is a Works shop here so I will see if I can find it.

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 20:06:17 PM »
Been very restrained and only bought one Kwiksew pattern in this sale. Sewdirect's site said the pattern is xxs to l rather than xs to xl  which is what the pattern envelope says. Hmm. I used to find Kwiksew a bit frumpy but they have improved their styling quite a bit of late