The Sewing Place

End of a love affair!

Mocarroll

End of a love affair!
« on: November 11, 2017, 11:24:27 AM »
 You know when you pour all your love and attention into a project, invest hours and hours deliberating, choosing, fitting,unpicking and then....you don’t actually like, let alone love what you’ve created. What do you do?
Well, thanks to Bodgit and her lovely coat I was re-inspired to finish my winter coat, abandoned when the weather turned to spring. I hacked the same pattern, making a jacket with the rounded collar, drafted a two piece sleeve, cut a two piece under collar on the bias, made the facings narrower and the lining wider, made bound buttonholes, interfaced the fronts with weft insertion, made a back stay and my own shoulder pads. It fits nicely, thanks to a toile I made and.....do you know what? I don’t think I like it?! :'( Green? Whatever was I thinking of as I really wanted an orange coat. DH says it looks lovely but then he always says that. Shall I put it away for a few weeks and hope that absence makes the heart grow fonder or buy a wildly expensive silk scarf to go with it?

Sewbee

Re: End of a love affair!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I think it's lovely and you did a beautiful job! So ... you have a teal or green suit. You will still wear it - go and buy that scarf if you think it will appeal to you more then. :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
Buy that scarf and something else to go with it that will set it off nicely.  It will grow on you I'm sure.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 11:37:25 AM »
It is a real shame if you actually don't like/suit the colour because it is a gorgeous jacket.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
Gosh that is an absolutely gorgeous jacket, well done!
I second the scarf-to-set-it-off idea.
Here's hoping you grow to like it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:21:46 PM by Madame Cholet »

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 12:52:35 PM »
I love the colour, although I couldn't wear it.  I have a dress that I abandoned a couple of years' ago.  Some day I will do the buttonholes and sew on the buttons.  I will then donate the finished dress.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 12:57:01 PM »
That is a seriously lovely and professionally made jacket. I love the teal colour. I'd certainly wear it! (what size did you say it was?  :devil: :devil: ) I'm finishing off a turquoise coat in a similar colour (although yours is a nicer, deeper shade). I will only be showing you my bound buttonholes from a long way away as they are nothing like as good as yours.

Anyway I hope you wear it cos it is fab!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 13:20:46 PM »
Great jacket, looks so well made.

What is it about the colour? Do you not like it or just hat you don’t think it suits you. If it’s the latter, I’ve recently had my colours done, and a suggestion was to wear a colour that does against your skin. As others have said a scarf is perfect.

It would be such a shame not to wear something so well made.
Procrastination get behind me

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 13:31:40 PM »
Yes, it's a lovely, well made jacket.

If the colour isn't you then go and buy a scarf - one with a tiny bit of the teal and lots of another colour, orange?  whcih you do like. 

Myself I wear teal, and bright greens, but I never consider orange!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 14:03:20 PM »
Now you have no reason at all not to buy an expensive silk scarf. The jacket is lovely.

LeilaMay

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 14:21:57 PM »
I think that is wonderful!

Mocarroll

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 14:39:26 PM »
Thank you girls for all your encouraging comments. I just think that I have learnt so much and tried so many new techniques when making this coat that I shouldn’t be so critical. I do have lots of this colour in my wardrobe so I had a root around and what do you think of this, not bad, eh?  I think I feel the stirrings of love coming on!

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 15:42:19 PM »
Looks good  and it would also work with a brighter scarf - but then I like a bit of bling! I hope you do grow to love it - I had the same reaction to a hand stitched jacket I made a few years back ( in the old place) lavished hours of work on it but didn't feel the love - ever - so I gave  it to someone who wears it with pleasure. Think I should have made it in your teal!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 17:51:43 PM »
Not Green ...Turquoise or Teal  ...

and for what its worth I think it looks gorgeous; I'm soooooo envious  of those of you that can sew.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 18:21:35 PM »
It's gorgeous, if you really really want orange would an orange scarf go with it?  It looks turquoise on my screen but if it is green, orange would probably look good with it.