The Sewing Place

Any bobbin lace makers here?

Holly Berry

Re: Any bobbin lace makers here?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »
I don’t make lace but my Mum did. When she died I kept all her equipment in a large box, which sadly is still in the loft 13 years later. She had books on all the different English lace types as well as cushions, threads, bobbins and beads. Two of the cushions still have the pieces she was working on and I can’t bear to do anything with them, so they are all wrapped up in cotton pillow cases. I also have the templates for pricking out patterns.My dad used to make the bobbins for her on his lathe.

When I got married a friend of my Mum made me a lace crown which she sugar starched and it was attached to my veil. It was very difficult to keep on!
Procrastination get behind me

Starryfish

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 16:04:01 PM »
I took up lacemaking a couple of years ago, when my WI federation held some classes. I made my daughter a wedding garter this year, it took weeks, and my eyes suffered. I will do some again soon; there is a guild in my county (Bedfordshire) but I haven't joined yet.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

SingingSinger

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 19:41:31 PM »
@LeilaMay I've got my lace pillow and bobbins down and dusted down after years (decades?) of neglect. I've forgotten how to do it but have watched a beginner's YouTube video and I'm going to have a go. I must have done evening classes back in the late 80s/early 90s and remember going to a lace fayre. Perhaps I might even have bumped into @BrendaP back in the day
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

LeilaMay

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 20:50:32 PM »
Well that's great! I'm refreshing my memory with a booklet from the Lace Guild, and I enjoy the concentration when everything else stays out of your head for a while :)

https://www.laceguild.org/product-page/an-introduction-to-bucks-point-lace-by-jean-leader

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 21:50:20 PM »
Did any of you go to a Lace Guild convention when it was a weekend event?  I think I went to all of the weekend ones - I was on the committee for many of them.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SingingSinger

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
Did any of you go to a Lace Guild convention when it was a weekend event?  I think I went to all of the weekend ones - I was on the committee for many of them.

It's possible the big event I remember was a Lace Guild convention. It was in  a school or college near to Stourbridge (maybe Halesowen?) in the West Midlands, late 80s I think.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 11:00:03 AM »
I went to all the Lace Guild weekend conventions from 1992 until about 2010.  None of them were at Stourbridge, where the Lace Guild HQ is.   @SingingSinger you are probably thinking of the one day event in Warley, W Midlands, in 1982.  A bit before my time with the Guild.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SingingSinger

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 18:15:13 PM »
I went to all the Lace Guild weekend conventions from 1992 until about 2010.  None of them were at Stourbridge, where the Lace Guild HQ is.   @SingingSinger you are probably thinking of the one day event in Warley, W Midlands, in 1982.  A bit before my time with the Guild.

Ahh, OK, before your time then  :D The event I'm thinking of wasn't as long ago as 1982 and not in Warley. I'm thinking it must have been 1987. Either way it was a very long time ago!!!  :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 18:41:55 PM by SingingSinger »