The Sewing Place

Butterick 6138

Bodgeitandscarper

Butterick 6138
« on: November 12, 2017, 19:14:40 PM »
Following someone's mention of this pattern (sorry, was it Tamnymore??)  I thought I'd buy it.  It appears it's not available now, but I tracked one down in America, very cheap and with postage, still only cost about £12.  :)
It appeared from the pattern envelope that it was a similar length to V9112, so I shortened it across the armholes by and inch, then by 1 1/2 inches a bit below the armholes, then decided I could take a bit more off the bottom if necessary - it's not necessary it seems.  As usual I only had 2 metres of fabric and it called for 3m, but by omitting the binding strips (I'll use black satin bias binding for the neck edge and armholes) and the front facings (I'm using quite a substantial fabric, it'd be too thick with a facing, I'll just turn the front edges in) I had a few centimetres left over, great  :)
It's sewn together, still needs the collar, armholes, hem, front edges, and buttonholes doing, but it looks good, quite pleased with it as a change from my favourite V9112.  I'll post pics when it's done, which may not be tomorrow as the builder will be making a mess again.

Vegegrow

Re: Butterick 6138
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 20:04:39 PM »
Oh that looks lovely Bodge   :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 21:31:06 PM »
Beautiful fabric.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 21:52:24 PM »
The fabric is this one - https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/81-3032-054_stretch-fabric-with-roses-1-copper.html
I bought it in this copper and the blue which I made up with guess which pattern?  V9112 of course!
It's more than I'd normally spend on fabric, but it's so lovely...

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 23:08:15 PM »
I’ve made this....It’s OK but I used a lightweight silk and some of the bias cut seams have wrinkled. Next time I’m going to make it with two left sides

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 17:38:18 PM »

It's more than I'd normally spend on fabric, but it's so lovely...

When I came back to sewing after a good few years' break I was horrified at the price of fabric and patterns. Now I've got used to it but it still rankles a little when I'm paying upwards of £12/metre for "ordinary" quilting cotton.  :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 17:41:45 PM »
When I came back to sewing after a good few years' break I was horrified at the price of fabric and patterns. Now I've got used to it but it still rankles a little when I'm paying upwards of £12/metre for "ordinary" quilting cotton.  :S

I lived in America for a long time and now that I am home, I'm having the same culture shock - prices of patterns and fabric!  :|

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 18:38:01 PM »
As the builder didn't turn up to create lots of dust today, I've done a bit more, in fact just the buttonholes and hem left to do.  It's very loose at the back despite the darts, not so keen on that, but it looks ok.
 I am wondering about that collar - I followed the instructions, but it turns over a lot more than V9112, so maybe it would be better sewn on the other side up?  I don't think I'll be unpicking it though as there's the seam stitching, then I sewed the bias bindiing on, then folded it over and sewed it again.  :S

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 22:05:06 PM »
Looks fab Bodgey. Yes it was me that suggested this pattern! My version is longer and I added sleeves. I've kept the looseness in mine as I usually prefer things looser rather than fitted.

I put in my collar the opposite way round so the right side is visible when it is folded down and if you check pattern review you will see that others have done that too. But yours looks really good with wrong side up (if I'm interpreting it correctly). Must dig out my version and let you see a pic.

Sewbee you need a trip to the £1 a metre room in Immanuel Fabrics in Burnley so you can see that we can do cheap fabrics in Britain if you know where to look!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 22:10:01 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

fajita

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 22:12:36 PM »
Love your fabric, Bodge.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:07:14 AM »
Very nice, B&S.  I have a ready to wear skirt made from very similar fabric.

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 15:27:26 PM »
Here's my version, as promised- on Bertha! You can see that I attached the collar the other way round (i.e. different to what the pattern says) and I also added sleeves as I don't tend to wear sleeveless or jumpers underneath. The fabric is a stretch cotton with a slight sheen and a jacquard appearance. I got it for £4 pm a couple of years ago on Leeds market and have never seen it again since, which is a pity as it is a great fabric.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 14:10:08 PM »
Wow love that fabric.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 14:48:37 PM »
If you mean my fabric, Fabric Lover,  I bought it a couple of years back and alas I have never seen it again!!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 16:02:18 PM »
I've only just completely finished this, so thought I'd post another pic.  I do like it  :)  Slight bodge due to lack of fabric - it doesn't actually have front facings, I turned the buttonhole edge back by about 1 1/2 inches, and the other edge just by about 5/8ths, so that means the buttons are only sewn on one layer of fabric, but I'll just be gentle with them!  The hems do match at the front, must be the angle of the photo.  They DO match, cos I unpicked one edge this morning and re-hemmed it to make it match.
As you can see, I also need someone to check I'm dressed properly and all my buttons are done up  0_0