The Sewing Place

Cabled Balaclava

b15erk

Cabled Balaclava
« on: November 15, 2022, 10:39:55 AM »
We're off to Lapland for Christmas this year, and being a warm weather sort of person, I feel the need for appropriate clothing.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/from-russia-with-love-cabled-balaclava

I found this pattern for a Balaclava, on Ravelry which looked as if it would fit the bill, and decided to give it a shot.  First off, as usual, I changed the cast on - I like it stretchy, then I used the wrong yarn - just some from the stash, then the wrong needles - to suit the yarn...  But, I figured it would fit one of us...

For starters, I realised I wouldn't have enough yarn in the particular grey, but I had a light grey which was similar.  I found a great technique called Helical knitting, using up small amounts of yarn to make it go further.  You end up with either an Ombre effect or stripes, depending on whether your yarns are similar or very different.  I only used two yarns, and got quite a crude Ombre effect, but using up the dark grey at the bottom, two yarns together until the dark ran out, and continuing with the light grey.  I love this technique.

Right, to the pattern, which was very simple, an eight row cable repeat, split for the eyes, carry on for the crown.  Unfortunately, probably due to the wrong yarn and needles, the crown was far too shallow.  Then I had to address the eye split.  When I did the cable finish, it looked a bit saggy going into the back of each stitch, so I went into every other stitch.  It is now so tight is squeezing my eyes together... :rolleyes:

So, I've been tinking ( :laughing:) back to the last cable, and added another pattern.  I'm now starting to decrease for the crown - again  :rolleyes: .

Then I will sort out the eye slit.  It may have to look a bit loose in order not to push my eyes together!  :laughing:

A picture for you to feast your eyes on... :rolleyes:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

HenriettaMaria

Re: Cabled Balaclava
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 10:47:37 AM »
:laughing:  It's adorable but also kind of spooky.  Maybe you could go into business making them for the paramilitary wing of the Women's Institute? :laughing:

realale

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 10:58:04 AM »
I like it but also think it would be great for TSP nefarious adventures.  :devil:
We could resurrect the fish slapping  :fish: and no one would know it was us!! Meet in the market place with pitchforks, burning torches and fish?!!  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 11:02:22 AM »
Perfect for the Zoom meeting?  :ninja:  :laughing: :thumb: :dance:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 13:57:35 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Well this is a bit scary!  :ninja:

Jessie

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 14:21:54 PM »
That's splendid @b15erk  - a disguise and it will keep you toastie!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 15:45:39 PM »
Have to say your nose looks a little bit squashed but you could get away with all sorts wearing that.  :laughing:

realale

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 15:50:43 PM »
Yay! We fish slappers will be truly incognito!! :laughing: :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 16:20:50 PM »
I'm very proud to have an emoji just for me... :ninja: :laughing: :perfect10:

Jessie

Celia

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 18:03:57 PM »
Love it  :perfect10:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 18:10:09 PM »
Eeek!!  *raises hands in the air and waves white flag*   :laughing: