The Sewing Place

I've broken my Featherweight

b15erk

I've broken my Featherweight
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
In order to kick start my stalled Belle project, I decided to spreed things up by using the Ruffler attachment.  The only machine I have at home which will take one of these is the Featherweight.

Took her out of the box and set her up to do miles and miles of net and organza.  She really does stitch beautifully, and so quiet!

Fixed the Ruffler on, tested on cotton first, then net, all OK.  The minute I tried to sew the organza, the whole lot came to a halt.  I knew immediately that it was thread jam in the bobbin area - again.

Stopped everything, tipped her up, and saw the offending thread.  I tried to pluck it out, but only managed to snap it....

This time however, I couldn't remove the bobbin assembly at all.  I think it is well and truly broken.....

Anyone know of any videos, or tutorials other than the Featherweight Shop ones.  These are helpful, but rely on the assembly coming out easily when the gib mechanism is released.

For now, I need to find another machine which plays well with a ruffler....  ><

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

Re: I've broken my Featherweight
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »
Ask the question here..they were really helpful when I had a problem
https://www.facebook.com/singerfeatherweight/?fref=ts

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »
Thanks so much E!  I've posted a question, so now sitting here with fingers firmly crossed!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 13:36:47 PM »
I'm afraid there isn't any clever way about it. You have to sit down cut and pick out threads until the bobbin case comes off. You can take off the bottom plate, bobbin cover and throat plate and cut out thread where you can access it, find a tweezer and pull them out. Wiggle the hand wheel. If you have a 99 or 201 around they are much less prone to thread mess.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 14:57:31 PM by arrow »

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 13:46:13 PM »
Arrow, I think it the Featherweight has a particular problem with this kind of thing because of the bobbin assembly design.

I had a reply from the FB group who recommended the same video I've been using.  Mainly it's just time and patience - both of which are in short supply at this time of the year!

To get around the problem, I set up the trusty old 201k with a ruffler attachment in my office (don't tell OH!), and finished my ruffling off.  I'd forgotten how lovely the 201k really is.....

Ruffling all done now, but the FW will have to wait until the Belle dresses are finished.

Jessie

arrow

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 15:56:00 PM »
The thread mess issue turns up all the time with the Featherweight, one thing is to have a clean and lint free machine, another point is that some models are very prone to drag the end of the thread down into the machine with the first stitch. To prevent it you are suppose to hold the ends of both bobbin and top thread, then manually turn the needle down with the a hand on the balance wheel; after the first few stitches are formed it will not happen. Many models are prone to this, but the Featherweight is such a bother if it's a big mess.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 08:52:14 AM »
The Featherweight is fixed!!  I went up last night to put her away in her box, and decided to have one last try at freeing the bobbin assembly - and Yay!  I did it!

Afterwards, I really had to check that she sewed OK  ;), and then of course, I thought I would try the ruffler again, and a walking foot (that I bought for something else, but works beautifully on the FW).  I stopped short of trying the buttonholer I had at home, because I wasn't sure it was the right one.  I'll check that out today.

My Featherweight is now back in favour, and sewing beautifully, but she is fairly high maintenance, and you do need to be careful around the bobbin area.  Apart from that, she is a very sturdy little sewing machine, and makes a delightful stitch.

Jessie