The Sewing Place

Liberty fabrics

UttaRetch

Re: Liberty fabrics
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 08:30:55 AM »
@Miss Blossom: is the fabric second from the bottom needlecord?  It's gorgeous.

fajita

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »
Bargain!

I love that houses one.

rowe1311

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 20:21:46 PM »
What a shame about liberty, I do like it and the feel of it.  My stash is still pretty complete as I am still scared to cut into lots of it.  Now katsfabrics is away I will probably never want to cut into some of them. 

What other British companies do nice fabrics like tana lawn?

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 20:34:55 PM »
I think there's  still a fair bit of less than full price Liberty around so we needn't run out for a while. If you toile a pattern in a less precious fabric, Rowe, then you should be able to cut into your Liberty without fear.
I'm not sure what cotton fabrics are regularly printed in the UK now but there's still a bit of silk printing about. Of course, the indigenous British fabric is tweed! Yummy Harris tweed, other Scottish tweeds, Linton tweeds and Yorkshire wools. Very different to tana lawn but just as yummy!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

rowe1311

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 19:47:04 PM »
the indigenous British fabric is tweed! Yummy Harris tweed, other Scottish tweeds, Linton tweeds and Yorkshire wools. Very different to tana lawn but just as yummy!  :D

Yes I do love the tweeds, but wouldn't be able to make much to wear.  I think coats are way out of my skill range! 

Miss Blossom

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 19:58:24 PM »
@Miss Blossom: is the fabric second from the bottom needlecord?  It's gorgeous.
Yes, it is lovely soft needlework- I got the end of the roll 4.5 metres for £30.. I'm thinking of making the Liesl & Co Bistro dress, as there aren't too many seams- The pattern repeat is quite large so I don't want to waste too much fabric pattern matching. Any suggestions gratefully received!

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 21:10:48 PM »
I don't want to waste too much fabric pattern matching. Any suggestions gratefully received!
My suggestion is not to cut it.  0_0  0_0

Tamnymore

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 21:52:19 PM »
Naughty UR! Of course you must cut your fabric, ladies, otherwise you won't be able to wear your lovely creations and we won't be able to admire photos of them on TSP.  :D

Miss B - do you have to pattern match? I've never tried to pattern match with flowery fabrics.

Rowe - coat making is much easier than you think especially if you choose a nice, simple pattern. There are lots of people here who can advise.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Miss Blossom

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 22:11:12 PM »
It's such a large pattern that I think it would be a bit jarring if the pattern didn't match.. It is such lovely fabric, I want to make something as perfect as I can make it hence my desire for as few pattern pieces/seams as possible!
(Plus, I am a cheapskate and thought I might squeeze a dress and something else out of it)