The Sewing Place

Arm coverups

weecate

Arm coverups
« on: November 15, 2017, 23:09:35 PM »
Hi, was wondering if anyone had seen these advertised.  I have been asked if I could make one for a customer as she bought one in the largest size and it had practically no stretch in it and she couldn't get her arms in.  I saw some fabric on the Tia Knight website that would probably be suitable but not sure how to draft the pattern for a stretch fabric.  Does anyone know of a suitable pattern I could adapt?

UttaRetch

Re: Arm coverups
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »
I started thinking about adapting a leotard pattern and came across

in my searches.  Unfortunately, it is out of print and would need a bit of redrafting.  I'll keep looking.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
Can you put a picture up of what you are looking for Cate?  Or a simple diagram?  Gives a better idea of what to look for....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »
Kwik Sew K3502  or Kwik Sew K3052
could possibly be adapted.

Other commercially available sleeves/arm cover-ups are M&S and here 

If you don't want to sew, but just waggle a pair of scissors around, try this
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 00:55:39 AM »
Hiw about adapting a shrug pattern.   I am sure I've made one that would work.  I will dig out the pattern number in the morning.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:09:29 AM »
I've seen this free pattern? Is it of any use?

https://www.fitzpatterns.com/products/0412-katia-shrug-sewing-pattern

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »
Would need to be redrafted, but the 'bones' are there.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »
I've seen this free pattern? Is it of any use?

https://www.fitzpatterns.com/products/0412-katia-shrug-sewing-pattern

That's was the kind of thing I was thinking off.  Perhaps lower the back neckline a bit and of course extend the fronts so they can be joined together.

I imagine that it would need to be tweaked each time depending on the stretch of the fabric used.

But what a clever idea.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »
I managed to find it Goth, after you mentioned the shrug pattern you had. Think the key word to look for is 'shrug' as using anything else didn't seem to bring up the right patterns.

I did find how to make something on you tube using a pair of tights lol....  :)

Mocarroll

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 14:18:22 PM »
Another freebie which I’ve sewn a couple of times.
https://so-sew-easy.com/sew-pretty-lace-jacket/

Lizzy777

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 17:32:58 PM »
Burda 7118 may be nearer to what you are looking for?
View  A,  I thought, perhaps?

weecate

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 23:37:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I like the idea by Utta Retch of adapting a leotard pattern as it needs to be skin tight to wear underneath a sleeveless dress.  She has tried a shop bought one but it didn't have enough stretch in the fabric and so she contacted me to see if I could make one to fit her.  I also would like raglan sleeves so that the shoulder seems are not visible under the dress.  I'll keep looking for patterns.