The Sewing Place

FMQ slippy mat!

KayK

FMQ slippy mat!
« on: November 18, 2017, 18:02:18 PM »
No doubt this question has been asked before, but can someone point me in the direction of something seriously slippy for the bed of the machine when FMQ'ing?  I have been using a spray polish, but the skid factor doesn't last very long!  I have seen some of those white plasticky mat things, but put off by the £45+ price!

All help gratefully received!! :D
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Kenora

Re: FMQ slippy mat!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 19:18:55 PM »
Two DIY solutions that I've tried are: 1) a product called Magic Carpet sold by Lakeland (and probably other people as well), and 2) spray silicone from an aerosol. I've used the silicone on its own on the bed of the machine, and have also sprayed it onto the magic carpet. I still find FMQ very difficult  :devil: because it plays havoc with my neck and shoulders. I also find it essential to wear sticky gloves otherwise I haven't got the power in my arms to move the fabric about enough. (Bit of a wimp really  :S)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 20:46:43 PM »
If you get one of those Teflon oven liners and punch a small hole for the needle it can really help.

I tape mine down with masking tape and it works fine.

Just remember to check your bobbin is full before you tape it down!

supergran

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 20:59:04 PM »
I agree, the teflon oven liners work for me as well. And a lot cheaper than the slippy mat thingies. I also read about something called a snow carpet that they apparently use for sledging in one of the snowier parts of America. You can get them from Amazon and are also cheaper than the slippy mats. More expensive than an oven liner though. ;)

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 21:11:31 PM »
Magic Carpet was the original name for the oven liner that Lakeland and Amazon sell - magic oven liner - £10.79 a roll - it's great for fmq and not bad for ovens/baking either. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
Try Aldi, Lidle or a pound shop first.

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »
I use a piece of acetate sheet on the bed of my Singer 15k as I can’t drop the feed dogs, but it does provide a slippery surface.

Procrastination get behind me

KayK

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 13:19:35 PM »
Thanks all! The oven mats here I come!!  Funnily enough, I did buy some a couple of years ago to line the oven trays with!  Didn't ever think they would have another purpose!  ;)
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well