The Sewing Place

Shopping bag to wall hanging?

Yankee Doodle

Shopping bag to wall hanging?
« on: November 19, 2017, 13:03:02 PM »
Hello ladies!  Oh!  I shouldn't presume there are only ladies here!  Hello, men, too!

I have an old paper shopping bag with a lovely Christmas scene on it.  It's a beautifully stylised scene of the three wise men bearing their gifts.  I  love it!  I want to re-create it as a wall hanging.   I am a quilter first, so I attempted to re-create it as appliqued quilted wall hanging, which I think some really talented person could probably do, but unfortunately my attempts are not pleasing to the eye!  They look a little too Blue Peterish. 

So - too late for this Christmas of course - I thought about cross stitch!  I'm sure that would be perfect.   Now, though, I need to get my paper  shopping bag converted to a cross stitch pattern.  I can do the cross stitching but I'm not up to doing a good job of the pattern creation.  I want it to be perfect and beautiful!  I need a professional and would pay well for a beautiful pattern!  Can anyone push me in the right direction?   Now that I've thought of this, I'm so excited!

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Yankee Doodle

Sewbee

Re: Shopping bag to wall hanging?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 13:11:32 PM »
I can't help you as I am a beginner but I think your idea is lovely.

I do see the crossover between art, colour theory, cross stitch and quilting and this is what draws me to quilting.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 18:00:20 PM »
If you google there are links to sites that can help you. This is what I found on my first attempt at googling this.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Making+a+crossstitch+pattern+from+a+photograph&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#kpvalbx=0

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 20:47:15 PM »
Thanks, Fajita, I'll look into that a little more.  What I really really want is to send my shopping bag off to someone and just magically get back the perfect pattern, without me having to do a thing.    But we don't always get what we want, do we?   I suppose the process doesn't look too difficult, and maybe in the end I'd be better off doing it myself.  I just didn't want to!   

YD

fajita

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 21:57:22 PM »
Take a photo of it. Send them the image. They'll send you a complete cross stitch kit.
I've never used them before, but have just put in an order. Brilliant Xmas gift for a friend.

http://www.photos2stitch.co.uk/

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 11:05:33 AM »
Pics YD, Pics please!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
Here it is..  As you can see, it's a shopping bag, complete with wrinkles and a bit of distortion.  I think the most difficult part of this will be the photo shopping to get the photo in good shape and with the colours showing perfectly.  After that, I think getting the actual cross stitch pattern made might not be a problem.  This is actually a shopping bag that my husband found in his late mother's house as he was cleaning it out.  She had evidently held on to it for years, and now it's all tied up with sentimental Christmas memories of her.  I am hoping this will be a gift for him for next Christmas (2018!).

Any tips, suggestions, etc, gratefully accepted.

YD

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 11:43:54 AM »
Trying to upload photo but getting error messages,  Apologies if suddenly 12 posts show up!  I will report message to the Techie and will keep trying.

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »
Photo?

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 13:02:13 PM »
Wow, now that I'm looking at this again, I'm really wondering... Is this wise?   Look at all those spots, do I really want to cross stitch all those?  I'd forgotten just exactly how this looked.  I'm having second thoughts.

Any great ideas out there?

YD

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 13:40:07 PM »
I think I'd have it done and then make the executive design to do the outside area in one colour and just do the dots in and on the window arch
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 13:55:06 PM »
I see why you like it and I see why you had the idea of reproducing it - however

have you mentioned it to anyone except us? If not, no harm done.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 15:39:24 PM »
Haha, no, fortunately no one but you people know, so I'm not committed to anything.

I think I'll be mulling this over for a while.  Going back to my original appliqué idea, this is as far as I got.  The wise men are done with Oakshott fabrics.  I thought they looked a bit naive, but maybe they wouldn't be so bad with some embellishment, and when they have  their surroundings, that might help, too.

I don't know.   I'll keep thinking....

YD

Sandra

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 18:00:48 PM »
They look pretty good to me!

As you say...when you've added embellishments etc...it'll make a big difference.

Sandra.
xxx

fajita

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 18:05:04 PM »
It's a lovely picture, and I'm sure will turn out well whichever way you do it.

As for the link I gave, I sent them a photo last night, they returned a proof today, I've sent payment just now, so wait with bated breath for the kit to arrive.