The Sewing Place

What is a Pattern?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: What is a Pattern?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
I'm always adding pockets!!  I always put patch pockets on the jersey tops I make - I just hem the top edge, then I use wondertape to fold the edges in and more to stick it on the garment.  Then a quick whizz round with the coverstitch and they are done.  The wondertape stabilises jersey beautifully for sewing.

Nevis5

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 15:31:33 PM »
I'm another one who doesn't bother with pockets, I rarely use them.  I also rarely change patterns around apart from using different sleeve lengths and/or necklines to suit my own personal preference.  I only read the instructions thoroughly once I make some horrible mistake  ;) or if it's a new-to-me pattern company whose methods I'm not familiar with.

Eons ago I did a City & Guilds course which taught me pattern making and I am also self-taught in alterations for my particular body shape so it's not that I don't have the ability to alter/make my own patterns, it's just having the confidence to do that.  However, whatever I make is still poles apart from anything I could struggle into in the retail world so I'm OK with that.

Vegegrow

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 16:26:02 PM »
  I love the fabric, patterns, designing and planning above all.

Yes I'm a good planner.. its the actual making and doing I struggle with..  I plan then go off at a tangent and make it in some other fabric   :S
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz