The Sewing Place

What is a Pattern?

b15erk

What is a Pattern?
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »
I've been using patterns for a long, long time, whether free, or paid for.  Some are good, some are bad, and some just need binning!

But, I don't think, in all my years of sewing, that I have ever sewn a project as is, straight from the packet.

Case in point is my latest project, my Belle frocks.  I was going to sew 3 Belle dresses straight from the envelope.

Nope.  I managed to get cheap yellow satin and yellow sparkly organza and netting, but, I couldn't get the right trimmings, and the ones I did manage to get looked naff.  This sparked a total re-design sans gold trimmings.

On reflection, I do something similar with every garment I sew, and I don't think I own one hand sewn garment, that looks like the front of the pattern packet.

Does anyone else do this?  I'm beginning to feel contrary, or difficult to please - or both!

How do you use your patterns?  Do you faithfully follow the instructions, and get a lovely garment at the end of it?  Or do you use your pattern as a jumping off point, before going off at a tangent?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

Re: What is a Pattern?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
It really depends how much of a headache I fancy giving myself.

There are plenty of times where I want to just cut something out and wear it without worry.

But then there are larger projects where I have many ideas to add to a garment and so the pattern changes.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
I have always stuck to the plan and none of the few things I have made departed radically from the pattern, although I will take shortcuts.  I don't have the skill or confidence to go off pest.  :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
I tend to go for styles with simple lines and don't go for frills, flounces or excess dangly bits of fabric.  So, I generally stick with the pattern although I might mix and match two patterns if I prefer the sleeves or neckline from another.  I am lucky too that I rarely have to make fit alterations apart from length.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 13:51:51 PM »
I have always stuck to the plan and none of the few things I have made departed radically from the pattern, although I will take shortcuts.  I don't have the skill or confidence to go off pest.  :D
Likewise.
I read in awe as people describe how they changed this, added that, combined two patterns etc
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 13:53:31 PM »
I don't have the skill or confidence to go off pest.  :D

Do you mean off piste? If not I've been saying it wrong my whole life!

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 15:57:00 PM »
Off pest is when you try on what you have made but the garment doesn't work out and you shout: Off! Pest!  while taking the pest of a garment off!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 16:50:39 PM »
Don’t think I’ve ever made anything straight from the packet... always had to alter something, most times pretty drastically

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 17:04:45 PM »
@Fran:  0_0  0_0 I did, of course, mean off piste.  I saw my mistake, but didn't go back to change it.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 21:15:43 PM »
I tend not to buy patterns but have been forced to buy one or two for my two grandsons recently.  Read the instructions, decided they were ludicrous and would result in a very naff looking home made effort.  So did my own thing.
I bought an Oliver and S baby pattern and whilst I thought the instructions were generally good, I still changed a couple of methods.
When I used to buy patterns for myself I often bought advanced Vogue so would follow them carefully.  But I very rarely made the same one twice.  Now I make my own they are always tweaked to give a different style. 

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 22:27:10 PM »
I seldom follow a pattern exactly, and often only look at the instructions if there is something a bit tricky. 

Apart from fitting changes, if the pattern shows round neck and short sleeves or V-neck and long sleeves you can be pretty sure that I'd choose to make round neck and long sleeves!  It's always been that way.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

elisep

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
I follow the pattern about 50% of the time I think... I often have a very solid idea of what I want to make, then, unable to find a pattern that's exact, I have to mash two together or change this or that.
Sometimes though I can't be bothered and just want an easy project without having to think too much; that's when I follow a pattern!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Lyn-J

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 22:31:02 PM »
I kind of follow the instructions, but change the design around a bit: View A with the sleeves from View B. I make up the pattern in order, but execute them in parallel, working on the front, back and sleeves at the same time. Less trips to and from the machine. I have my own techniques for some things, such as zips.

mudcat

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 00:42:35 AM »
It depends.  When there are multiple views I often merge my favored features into my own view.  I detest those inseam pockets in so many garments and always omit them.  I live in a hot climate and run a bit warm so I often convert sleeved dresses into sleeveless.  As far as the instructions go I look through them and generally follow their order of operation but I have been sewing for 50 some years so I have developed my preferred methods for how to do things.  I'm a fan of shortcuts whenever possible since I don't enjoy the sewing portion as much as some people.  I love the fabric, patterns, designing and planning above all.

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 07:28:00 AM »
Well we are all different! I love pockets, particularly in-seam pockets and I'm always adding them. It irritates me that women's clothing often does not have pockets - the blokes would never do without them, would they? And I also add sleeves to sleeveless tops and dresses but this isn't a particularly hot part of the world, especially not today.  :'(
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde