The Sewing Place

First Foray into Knitting

Lowena

First Foray into Knitting
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
Dipping my toes in the water, found I suddenly fell into a whirlpool!! :o What are circular needles?? and how and when would one use them?? Likewise, double pointed needles.
Also, I was told by my teddy bear pattern ( which turned out to be an absolute disaster btw ) to get3.5 needles, which I did.... they are hugely long and I find them very unwieldy.
Boy has knitting changed in the last 50yrs since I last picked up a skein ( remember those, and winding them for your Mum? ) of wool  :o :D
H..E..L..P..
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

Re: First Foray into Knitting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »
Circular needles and double pointed needles (dpns) are for knitting in the round e.g. socks.  Also often used for toys.  Circular needles can have fixed length cables joining the 2 ends or as you may have recently seen Jessie and me discussing, you can now get sets of interchangeable needles with all different sized needles that screw onto cables of different lengths - very versatile.  So that you don't have to have the precise length of cable for a job there is a technique called 'magic loop' which means you can knit small tubes on a long cable but I think that one is for another day if you want to keep your sanity.
When you did your teddy you probably should have got shorter needles to make it easier - they would probably have needed to be dpns as standard needles are usually long.
For your initial knit stick with ordinary needles but if you are having to buy some think about what material you want.  Bamboo and wood are really nice to use and I also have some car on fibre ones with metal tips that I used for lace knitting.  My favourites are Knit Pro Symphonie which are beautiful smooth beechwood.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »
Sorry to disagree with Ploshy (and on her Birthday too) but if you use cables rather than straights the weight of the work is held on your lap once it's quite big and this puts less strain on your wrists.

Interchangeables are wonderful as long as you get them really tight and remember to tighten them occasionally whilst working.

You can knit back and forth with one long cable or use two instead of conventional needles.

As Ploshy says wooden or bamboo needles are a lovely alternative to metal, in my mind much nicer to use.

After all that, if you are just wanting to have a go to see if you like it, buy some cheap needles from your local charity shop and have a play.  If you want to take things further you can  splash the cash later

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
Well done Lowena for picking up the needles!  I like knitting in the winter months, as I can sit in front of the telly to do it.

Don't worry too much about complicated needles and expensive notions.  As Plosh says it's best to stick to a straight pair of needles of a length which best suits you, and a ball of yarn.

Personally, I would start with a scarf, or a shawl, which needs little shaping.  Toys are quite difficult IMO, and can be very complicated.

There are some great Youtube videos - (I like Very Pink Knits), and you can refer to these as you knit.

Any probs just ask.  I'm not a great knitter, just quite persistent, but I am always willing to help if I can.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Maximum

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Another knitter! Well done and it does get easier. Agree with Jessie that Very Pink videos are excellent.
I returned to knitting a few years ago and have used Knit Pro Symphony interchangeables ever since. I find it much easier to hold the work with most of it in my lap on a cable than trying to hold it up on a rigid long needle.
Keep it small and simple to start with. Do you need dishcloths, made with 100% cotton? I would avoid the very cheap plastic needles - they are not helpful with getting tension even :'(
Crochet next - it's even quicker than knitting  ;)

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
I like the Very Pink videos too; she knits in a very similar style to me.

A very basic hat would be a good starting project.
Use double points, a 20" circular or two circulars  if you want to knit in the round or straights if you are happy to have a seam in it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 14:23:16 PM »
Thanks girls, doubtless I'll e driving you all mad with stupid questions and crying on your ( collective ) shoulders  :D
I've tried ( and tried, and tried ) crochet but, even after having one to one tuition, get further than the first row  :| I'm hoping to fare better with knitting  -<
I really cannot multutask at all and find I can do nothing while the tv is on... except watch it  :D but, with time hanging heavy sometimes in the afternoons I thought I'd look for something to do which doesn't necessitate going out into the sewing room and heating it up.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Maximum

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 16:11:30 PM »
I can't knit or crochet properly if I'm trying to do something else. I have joined a crochet group, mainly for the social side, but get very little done in 2 hours that relates to stitch progress! I find evening TV hardly worth watching. If I'm ever found with the TV on in the afternoon, I'm ill and feeling awful

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 19:33:10 PM »
Just watched a few Very Pink videos and they are rather good.

She showed a way of purling continental style that I can cope with.  I'm doing a Mitred Square Blanket in order to master continental knitting and I'm getting on fine, but its done in garter stitch as I thought I ought to master one stitch at once.

I keep trying to purl continental and have watched several videos but nothing worked until I saw Norweigen Purling and I can cope with that.

Lowena these videos are a great way to get back into knitting, have you found a pattern yet?