The Sewing Place

Any ideas?

Surest1tch

Any ideas?
« on: November 25, 2017, 22:30:41 PM »
I'm most likely posting this in the wrong place so apologies in advance if I have.
I've got a piece of cashmere I'd like to make a skirt with, the only problem is I'm allergic to any form of wool that comes into contact with my skin for long I end up scratching like I've got fleas.  I don't wear full underslips and hate tucking blouses etc into waistbands because I've got a bit of a belly nowadays

Acorn

Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 23:11:50 PM »
Could you line the waistband with something like a piece of satin in a colour that matches or complements it? 

I can't wear any amount of wool, often even if it's lined with something else.  I once had a jumper with 3% 'lustre wool' that nearly sent me round the bend.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bowerbird

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:10:38 AM »
If you don't wear tucked in tops anyway, why not make the whole waistband with something your skin loves (silk?) and line the skirt so there's no wool exposed on the inside.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
Following on from BB's suggestion;  could you also introduce the silk/satin into a trim elsewhere on the skirt?  A panelled skirt could have narrow piping in each seam, or a pencil skirt could have the back vent lined with the same silk/satin.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »
Don't put a waistband on and use petersham as a facing. I've made several skirts over the years this way. Oh and fully line the skirt with a satin ( I hate acetate linings) or cotton lawn.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 21:37:53 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, you've put my head in overdrive now