The Sewing Place

It is finished!

Acorn

It is finished!
« on: December 04, 2017, 15:39:59 PM »
When I was 19 I bought some packs of Laura Ashley pre-cut hexagons and a piece of cheap contrasting material, and I started to make a quilt by hand.

Every stitch has been done by hand: piecing, quilting (in the ditch - yeuch!) and finishing.  It has been put away for long stretches of time, particularly when I realised that I didn't have enough of the contrast and it took me years to find material that was the right shade of black (the contrast that forms a diamond in the centre of the quilt is black with a tiny red and cream pattern, the outer contrast is black with slight dark blue marbling - but, strangely, they go together well.)  The second photo shows both background fabrics.

It is very far from perfect, although all the corners match properly, it is nice and square and all the stitching is good and secure - it's the quilting that isn't brilliant - but it is a quilt with a history.

I wonder what I would have thought at the age of 19 if you had told me I'd finish it in the year of my 30th wedding anniversary...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

MistyRose

Re: It is finished!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 15:47:58 PM »

I like it, it's a pretty design, well done, worth waiting for.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 16:37:55 PM »
Well done for persevering Acorn.  Perhaps my sampler quilt top will see the light of day again - it's only been 7 years.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 17:10:31 PM »
Well worth the wait.

I do like the way you have a single blue patch in between the blue 'flowers', so much more interesting than simply doing Grandmother's flower garden.   :flower:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 17:37:25 PM »
Maybe it should be called Grandmother's Flower Garden with Weeds.

I didn't know about different traditional designs when I started it - it was just a matter of 'I have these hexagons, how shall I put them together?' 

I had a book that showed the traditional way of piecing - sewing on paper templates, folding the seam allowance over, and then overstitching the pieces together - and a hexagon template (one with two bits, giving the finished size and the size with seam allowances).  I drew around the smaller template onto the hexagons and folded and stitched along those lines rather than using paper.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 17:56:17 PM »
Simply Stunning!

Bravo!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Snowgoose

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 18:10:50 PM »
Beautiful!  I love the colours, the flowers look gorgeous against the dark background  :)

You must be so proud, a hand-stitched heirloom :)

maliw

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 19:36:38 PM »
That's lovely and well worth the time it's taken. "Good things come to those who wait"
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Maximum

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 19:44:39 PM »
Thank you for sharing, it’s fabulous and an interesting history.
You’ve probably just got time to do another one :)

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 20:28:21 PM »
Lovely quilt, lovely story. :D

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 21:10:52 PM »
Beautiful quilt and a labour of love. I started one many years ago when I was a teenager but soon got bored of the repetitive hand sewing. I know how much work goes into hand-sewn quilts - especially the actual quilting - so very well done indeed.  :toast:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
What a wonderful quilt and what an absolutely, blooming achievement! :toast:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!