The Sewing Place

Help needed re Brother 1034D presser foot pressure screw

Vezelay

Help needed re Brother 1034D presser foot pressure screw
« on: December 09, 2017, 18:06:09 PM »
A while back I altered the presser foot pressure screw on my Brother 1034D when sewing a rolled hem on chiffon. But then I got confused about which way I'd turned it - up or down - and how much, and ended up not knowing how to set it back to "Normal". I'm getting some waviness now when sewing sweatshirt fleece seams (differential feed is at 1.5) and I wonder if the foot pressure screw may need adjusting.

In the manual it says it should be 8mm from the top of the screw head to the machine, but it doesn't say whether you measure to the back of the machine or the front, and the image doesn't help. Mine measures 8 mm at the back and 12mm at the front. With my eyeline level with the screw I can see 6 ridges including a narrow one at the top.

If anyone could take a look at their 1034D screw (it's the one on the top left of the machine, which presumably they have sensibly left alone) and give me some advice I would be most grateful.

Thanks a mil
Vezelay
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 18:08:07 PM by Vezelay »

Lachica

Re: Help needed re Brother 1034D presser foot pressure screw
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 22:12:05 PM »
I can see 5 ridges on my screw, I think, but even with my specs on it's not too easy to see. I measured 11mm from top of screw head to front of machine, and my machine is working fine. It doesn't sound as though yours is too far out. Hope this helps.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Vezelay

Re: Help needed re Brother 1034D presser foot pressure screw
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 17:45:24 PM »
Thank you Lachica, that's exactly what I needed to know. Yesterday I was peering at Google images trying to work it out. I've tightened it just a little now in line with yours and I think the stitch is better. The manual is confusing!

I wonder if anyone else turns the knife off and then forgets to turn it on again as I did this afternoon - result one broken needle and one macerated (but thankfully salvageable) seam. :|

I intend to say hello properly when I get a minute - too busy making another Toaster 1 sweater.