The Sewing Place

Finally ....

Iminei

Finally ....
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »
As some of you peeps may know I have difficulty sewing a perfect 1/4"seam ... let alone a scant one!!!!
My blocks always end up a tad under what they should turn out at, its just the way I sew ... probably on a slant.

But today I am delighted to announce my first ever perfectly sewn  block ... no trimming required and not a smidge under the required measurement. The block is meant to be 10" and 10" it is!!!!!

How has this wondrous event occurred I hear you think in amazement???

Well it might ...... errrrmmm ..... have something to do with .... errrmmm ..... the little thing that found its way back to Dorset with me last weekend.

And I ask you ... What the hell is a 7mm seam when it is at home anyway ??? I've never needed one, certainly never used one so I might have, sort of ...... errrmmm .... changed it slightly because ..... mmmnnnn .... you can do that with The Splurgess.

Yes dear Darksiders, I might have picked up an Atelier 7, forever now known as The Splurgess, on my trip to the far reaches of the Midlands last weekend ...

You are a Very Naughty Girl Pearl!!!!  :devil:

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1318.0.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:56:11 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

Re: Finally ....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »
How Much??!!

I hope you will be very happy together, Imi (why is she worrying about scant1/4" seams when she produces such beautiful work?)

How Much??!!
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
How much?? Did father Christmas get involved?? Where are you going to put all these machines?? I could never cope with having more than one of anything ( except children and pets )
I'm in awe.....I've never done a perfect block or indeed a perfect seam in the 5 years I've been sewing  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 14:32:00 PM »
Well, I don't think the Splurge will take too kindly to being put in the loft so, after a trial period to make sure I really get on with the new machine (still not too sure about the auto presser foot lift thingmy) I'm guessing one of them will have to be sold.

And if its one of our members (not looking at any one person in particular) I will be open to a monthly payment option.

Stitches

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 15:33:16 PM »
I love my auto presser foot Iminei

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 17:36:06 PM »
You are a Very Naughty Girl Pearl!!!!  :devil:

What did I do? <wide-eyed innocence>

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 17:58:28 PM »
I love my auto presser foot

Can you turn it off Stitches ?? Cos' I sure wish I could!

I've used it for about 8 hours in total now and Im not sure about it yet ... mainly cos of the auto presser foot but also because any time I start stitching it makes this weird , raspy mechanical start sound ... not whilst sewing but just when I begin and I dont know whether A) that should be or B) I can live with that.

So maybe this will be the one I sell.

Pros (BIG BIG Pro) are the ability to fine tune your stitches, length, width (as per normal) but needle drop position is superb!

Cons, not being able to turn off the auto presser foot (if indeed I can't) and the weird start up noises.

But Im sure as I use it further other lil gems and joys will reveal themselves.

Stitches

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 18:14:19 PM »
You can't turn it off on mine as there is no foot presser lever to lower up or down . Does it make the noise just when you first start sewing .mine does that

Deafoldbat

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 19:04:49 PM »
During my brief relationship with a Pfaff QE4, I became acquainted with an automatic presser foot. It was all very well until you wanted to line up and drop the needle onto an exact point. As soon as you turned the wheel, the foot would clunk down, in the wrong place and obscuring your view of what you wanted to do. I don't miss it.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 22:23:14 PM »
I love my auto presser foot

Can you turn it off Stitches ?? Cos' I sure wish I could!

I've used it for about 8 hours in total now and Im not sure about it yet ... mainly cos of the auto presser foot but also because any time I start stitching it makes this weird , raspy mechanical start sound ... not whilst sewing but just when I begin and I dont know whether A) that should be or B) I can live with that.

I bought the Atelier 7 a year ago. I used it for 24 hours and then took it back - I simply couldn't live with the noise that you've described above, Iminei.  :S Some people don't notice it. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them. Lovely machine otherwise. I bought a Bernina instead, but I still love my older Janome too.  <3 Best of both worlds.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
I bought the Atelier 7 a year ago. I used it for 24 hours and then took it back - I simply couldn't live with the noise that you've described above, Iminei.  :S Some people don't notice it. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them.

Oh Dear!!!

So that grating noise is part of the machine ... I will investigate the auto presser further ... try out a bit more .. specifically with quilting when the auto raise might be useful and see what I think.

Vegegrow

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
I have a QE and it make that noise when it wakes up as it then stays on most of the day it doesn't bother me I equate it to the machine having a morning stretch... 0_0 
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

fajita

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 13:12:40 PM »
Do you mean this noise? 

I quite like it, it sort of states " I'm ready, let's go!" 

fajita

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 13:14:46 PM »
Try again

Sorry, doesn't want to run.
It's like a mechanical noise, whirr click, as the needle aligns itself.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 13:16:34 PM by Fajita »

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 13:35:21 PM »
Mine makes that noise, I find it comforting
Triumph of hope over experience :D