The Sewing Place

Finally ....

Ploshkin

Re: Finally ....
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 14:28:27 PM »
My Pfaff makes a wake up noise.  I used to find it a bit alarming as it does it first when I lower the needle by hand to raise the bobbin thread and I felt as if I was doing something it didn't like.  I've got used to it now.  It occasionally does it at other times but I've never worked out the reason.
Life's too short for ironing.

Roger

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 15:01:20 PM »
My 95k sounds like the  tardis when it gets going but that’s nothing to do with this convo :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Kenora

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 22:34:47 PM »
I think most modern machines make "wake up" noises when they're first switched on, which is all quite normal and acceptable. But the noise I referred to in my previous post happened every time I used the auto presser foot (which was frequently). My dealer confirmed that this was the normal noise.

I was torn for a while because the auto lift was absolutely great for quilting, but I just couldn't live with that much noise while I was sewing - it really irritated me. I love peace and quiet while I work, so this was much too intrusive into my lovely peaceful world of stitching.

It was still a beautiful machine though and I was sad to see it go before I'd got to know it better. :(
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 06:48:49 AM »
Yes that's the noise! but it makes it everytime I start to sew ... I think its releasing a brake or something...
There's a quiet mode too, which I have activated, that lessens the noise.

Anyhoo I used it yesterday and it was better, I think I have to get used to not lifting the presser foot on my own ...
(It doesnt like that one bit) which is an automatic (and quicker than a machine) action for me. Look what I made, in the spirit of Christmas and 9 Ladies dancing .... well 23 Ladies dancing I suppose!!!!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:46:34 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
Can't see the picture :(
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »
No pics again :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 20:49:57 PM »
Lovely ladies  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 20:58:25 PM »
Gorgeous!  And I love love love the way just one has her hands out as though she's ready to twirl!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 21:09:53 PM »
lovely ladies Imi    .. is it me but the one at the bottom of the central has a smaller dress.. photographic effect?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 09:52:38 AM »
Oh yes Veggie..... small dress laydee and pointy hands laydee....... it's like a "Where's Wally " puzzle  :D
Seriously Imi, it's lovely  <3 <3

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 15:32:45 PM »
The two ladies slightly below and either side of her are laid on top of her

(OOOhh Errr Missus!!!)

otherwise they would fall off the table!  0_0

Sadly pointy hands laydee didn't make the cut!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 15:35:39 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 15:38:23 PM »
Ahhh I see I thought they were sewn together  :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 18:21:38 PM »
Oh, me too... I assumed it was a completed piece of work, sorry  :|

Sewbee

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 19:21:11 PM »
As some of you peeps may know I have difficulty sewing a perfect 1/4"seam ... let alone a scant one!!!!
My blocks always end up a tad under what they should turn out at, its just the way I sew ... probably on a slant.

But today I am delighted to announce my first ever perfectly sewn  block ... no trimming required and not a smidge under the required measurement. The block is meant to be 10" and 10" it is!!!!!

How has this wondrous event occurred I hear you think in amazement???

Well it might ...... errrrmmm ..... have something to do with .... errrmmm ..... the little thing that found its way back to Dorset with me last weekend.

And I ask you ... What the hell is a 7mm seam when it is at home anyway ??? I've never needed one, certainly never used one so I might have, sort of ...... errrmmm .... changed it slightly because ..... mmmnnnn .... you can do that with The Splurgess.

Yes dear Darksiders, I might have picked up an Atelier 7, forever now known as The Splurgess, on my trip to the far reaches of the Midlands last weekend ...

You are a Very Naughty Girl Pearl!!!!  :devil:

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1318.0.html

Good for you!!!

What was the machine you got a few months ago? I thought that was an Atelier but I'm speaking from memory.

supergran

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 20:35:07 PM »
And there was me thinking you were going to tell us about some wondrous ruler type thing that would help us keep our seams perfect without gluing up the needle plate or shifting at the crucial moment, so that we didn't go cross eyed keeping the fabric on the titchy little mark on the needle plate!  :ninja: