The Sewing Place

Just arrived

Giotto

Just arrived
« on: December 13, 2017, 18:16:47 PM »
Hello, everyone.
I found this forum while googling for help with a problematic sewing machine.  I've recently retired from teaching which kept me so busy I didn't have much time for sewing for at least the last 10 - 13 years, when the job of teaching became all about paperwork, thus reducing my free time.  However, now I can make my own timetable and I'm getting into the way of sewing again and enjoying it.  I'm interested in dressmaking, rather than craft type sewing, but who knows what I might get into now that I have time?  I look forward to learning a lot from the Sewing Place. 

Ploshkin

Re: Just arrived
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 18:41:19 PM »
Welcome Giotto.  Many of us here are returnees to sewing, you might be surprised at how much has changed in the intervening years.  I can fairly well guarantee that before long you will find yourself doing things that you never knew you wanted to try.  There are some very persuasive people about here. :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Mocarroll

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 20:39:25 PM »
Welcome Giotto, I’m sure you won’t regret your decision.   Like you I’d had enough of the paperwork of teaching and decided that, no matter how many hours I put in, it was never enough. So, I got my life back and re-started my love affair with sewing.  Thanks to the internet and these lovely people my learning curve has taken off. Where are you from? I’m a Belfast girl, born in Newtownabbey but been exiled in Kent for the last 45years.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 21:33:43 PM »
Hi Giotto - nice to see you on here. I'm also a returnee to sewing - so many things have changed since I was sewing in the 70's and 80's - mainly the availability of information on the internet (which is good  :)) and the plethora of new fabrics (or fabric names anyway, which is confusing  :S).
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

maliw

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 21:55:39 PM »
Hello and welcome, you will soon get into the swing of things. I've been sewing for 50 years+ and as there are only so many clothes I can wear I diversified into P&Q. Treat yourself gently and ease yourself back into things and find what you want to do. Has anybody warned you about what great enablers we are? - hold on to your purse!!! ;)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 22:35:51 PM »
Welcome to TSP

Another one who has been sewing on and off for 50+ years and the Dark Side (P&Q) got me a few years ago but I can only find uses for so many quilts and so I diversified back into clothes sewing!

I agree though that we are great enablers, so do watch your purse or the bits of plastic lurking within it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 22:39:14 PM »
Welcome Giotto. Lots of great advice and fun to be had here. I too have been sewing for 50 years ( I started as a baby... ahem!  :devil: :devil: )
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 22:49:21 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too  :D

Giotto

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 23:54:17 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for the welcome.
Mocarroll, I'm in Coleraine, near the north coast.
The first thing I sewed was a skirt. The green felt pig [with embroidery stitching, made in 1st year Domestic Science class, as it was then called] and the unfinished nightdress [with the French seams ripped out and redone at least twice in 2nd year] don't really count even though the pig is in use as a pincushion. The skirt is something I remember because it was very wearable. My mother sewed and when I was 17 skirts with stripes cut into a V pattern at front and back seams (chevrons?) were fashionable. I wanted one but my mother was too busy to make it. She said she would help me to make it. She turned out to be, in my opinion at the time, fussier than the Domestic Science teacher! But she patiently talked me through how to understand the pattern envelope, cutting out the pattern pieces, laying them on the fabric etc. etc. And I ended up with a skirt that people admired and wanted to know where I'd bought it. And so began a love of sewing: great to be able to take a rectangle of fabric and produce something you could wear from it!
To be honest, I don't need to meet enablers  :) -at least not where buying fabric is concerned- as I'm building up quite a fabric stash already!!

Pearl

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »
I think you'll fit in fine around here!  Welcome.

We also like pictures so I'm looking forward to seeing your makes. 

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
A big welcome from me too Giotto!  Knowledge of all kinds to be found here - not just sewing!

Glad to see you are enjoying building your stash!   ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too!

Sewbee

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 19:23:47 PM »
Hello, everyone.
I found this forum while googling for help with a problematic sewing machine.  I've recently retired from teaching which kept me so busy I didn't have much time for sewing for at least the last 10 - 13 years, when the job of teaching became all about paperwork, thus reducing my free time.  However, now I can make my own timetable and I'm getting into the way of sewing again and enjoying it.  I'm interested in dressmaking, rather than craft type sewing, but who knows what I might get into now that I have time?  I look forward to learning a lot from the Sewing Place.

Welcome Giotto. I'm in the same boat as you. :)