The Sewing Place

Not your grandma's sewing guide

Greybird

Not your grandma's sewing guide
« on: October 15, 2022, 14:00:30 PM »
Amazon have just sent me their advert for this I took a "look inside" as suggested and it doesn't look like any other sewing book I've ever seen. Warning: anyone easily offended by blue language had probably better not look!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 14:04:00 PM by Greybird »

Diane

Re: Not your grandma's sewing guide
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 14:05:25 PM »
@Greybird  Oh my  :embarrassed:  :scream:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Puzzler

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 14:28:40 PM »
Not one I would buy but did have a giggle at the audacity of it all. Not sure what to make of the one star reviewers who didn’t avail themselves of the ‘look inside’ function or read some the reviews before purchasing. Let the buyer beware, indeed.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 16:01:26 PM »
 :o Goodness me.
It might be a good guide but it's been over-effed for me.

I'm ok with the occasional eff  >< but there are far too many there.

Sandra.
xxx

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 16:05:58 PM »
Can’t really see the point of it. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 19:12:00 PM »
She also does a "clean as heck" version for all the lightweights.  :angel:

As a person who hasn't had a good day unless I've dropped at least a dozen f bombs or variations thereof I like her attitude. Some great encouragement in the bits I could read.

Y'all have no idea the restraint I use here to limit myself to the occasional "ef that" or reference to "rodent's patootie". Absolutely no idea... :rolleyes:

Let's see if the library will order a copy.  :devil:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

realale

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 20:20:55 PM »
Well, as a grandmother I thought I'd better by pass it as it said it wasn't for me!!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 13:16:20 PM »
I'm all for making sewing accessible to the smartphone-addicted Gen Zers, but using that much effin' swearin' is off-putting.  Apart from anything else, stumbling over the language gets in the way of clear comprehension.

I have enough needlework reference books, some over 90 years old, so I'll be giving it a pass!

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 08:54:43 AM »
Ive just realised how ladylike Ive become (so Ya Boo Sucks to all the boys mothers who thought I was far too much of a hellraiser for their precious sons, tho I was always polite to 'my elders' and really didnt swear much even in the wrong company)

No, No, No ... I think it must be a gimmick to sell the book, but just NO!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 09:42:54 AM »
I swear, not as often as I did in my 20s and very much depending on the company I am in (in private is a whole different story).
I like the different angle of the book and might have bought it (you can't have too many books can you) but, even for me, she really has dropped the F-bomb too many times.

It stops having any point when scattered like confetti.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 10:52:48 AM »
Yes, I think it's a gimmick to try and sell the book, but for me it had the opposite effect.

The occasional Eff when sometimes an expletive is really needed is OK, but when people use it all the time it's meaningless - rather like er, um ...  and just shows a lack of linguistic skill.  In a written book it's just distracting and takes away from what might otherwise be a good book - although I didn't bother reading enough of it to be sure how good it could have been. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.