The Sewing Place

Lisette/Butterick 6423 - Lovely coat pattern

Sewbee

Lisette/Butterick 6423 - Lovely coat pattern
« on: December 16, 2017, 18:27:15 PM »
I bought my first UK sewing magazine today - Love Sewing. I bought it because it has a free pattern - B6423 by Lisette. You can read about it here.

https://oliverands.com/community/blog/2016/11/introducing-the-new-lisette-b6423-coat-for-butterick.html

I had lost my sewing mojo but this might bring it back. I adore this pattern!

UttaRetch

Re: Lisette/Butterick 6423 - Lovely coat pattern
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 18:49:23 PM »
I saw this too and love the colour and fabric, however, it would make me look like a brick outhouse as I am not reed thin. 0_0

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 19:05:03 PM »
I saw this too and love the colour and fabric, however, it would make me look like a brick outhouse as I am not reed thin. 0_0

I'm not thin either, Utta, but I am tall which helps. Like you, I want that very same colour! I adore it!

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 19:33:48 PM »
That's a nice pattern  Sewbee, and it looks quite straightforward. I'm reasonably tall and errrr 'chunky' and I'd happily wear this.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 19:38:35 PM »
That's a nice pattern  Sewbee, and it looks quite straightforward. I'm reasonably tall and errrr 'chunky' and I'd happily wear this.  :D

Isn't it lovely! Lisette patterns are designed by Liesl & Co. and I had only just ordered three of Liesl's patterns about three weeks ago because I adore the designs. She designs for McCalls under the Lisette for Butterick name. When I saw this today I jumped at it. It was well worth the £7.99 for the magazine.

I sooo want to make this coat!!

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 20:09:11 PM »
Well, get yourself some nice fabric, Sewbee, and that's your Christmas project sorted! Or, wait and see if Mandors has a sale and make it in January.

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 23:38:40 PM »
This is a nice you tube video to watch about the designer, with the coat made up and she is in discussion with an interviewer talking to her about the coat.
It's what made me decide to get the pattern sometime ago (not made it up yet). I have just found the right fabric for it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-RT5WPvAs

'Liesl Gibson of Sew Lisette gives you a closer look at her coat pattern for Butterick.'

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 20:24:28 PM »
Hi Sewbee, I also bought the same magazine as I liked the look of the coat. It will be a first handmade coat for me, if I get the fabric to make it. I would be interested in following progress with you.  When do you plan on making it?
Willing but not always able :)

Lyn-J

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 20:50:53 PM »
Me too!!!  :)
Not sure if I'm going to make it though, so many things on the go at the moment

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 23:01:45 PM »
Hi Sewbee, I also bought the same magazine as I liked the look of the coat. It will be a first handmade coat for me, if I get the fabric to make it. I would be interested in following progress with you.  When do you plan on making it?

Hi Lillian. Isn't it lovely coat! I don't have fabric for it yet but was considering going to Mandors in Glasgow to see if I can get something I like that's suitable. I'd like to go this week but, if not, it will be in the sales after Christmas. I also need to get lining. I'd love to be able to find a solid colour for the coat and a patterned lining but I'm not sure what sort of fabric for lining. I don't believe you can get satin lining in the UK but I'm not totally sure.

My first handmade coat, too. :)

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 23:29:41 PM »
Sewbee, It is a lovely coat  0_0 I haven't any fabric either yet and don't really know what to look for.  I think a paisley would be a nice lining, I saw some on the Sewing Quarter a few weeks ago, I think it was House of Alistair.  I won't be starting until after the holidays.  I have too much going on, also have a new RTW coat that I want to line.  :)

https://houseofalistair.com/collections/fabrics/products/jacquard-linings-fabric 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 23:32:39 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Sewbee

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 14:27:31 PM »
Sewbee, It is a lovely coat  0_0 I haven't any fabric either yet and don't really know what to look for.  I think a paisley would be a nice lining, I saw some on the Sewing Quarter a few weeks ago, I think it was House of Alistair.  I won't be starting until after the holidays.  I have too much going on, also have a new RTW coat that I want to line.  :)

https://houseofalistair.com/collections/fabrics/products/jacquard-linings-fabric

What beautiful lining - and just my style!! Thank you for posting this.

I haven't bought fabric for the coat yet but will remember this lining when I do. :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 17:29:11 PM »
...  I saw some on the Sewing Quarter a few weeks ago, I think it was House of Alistair https://houseofalistair.com/collections/fabrics/products/jacquard-linings-fabric

I used the grey for lining this

coat dress.  It was a bugger to cut and I nearly had a nervous breakdown.  I also neatened all the seams and discovered they were on the wrong side when I came to attach the lining to the shell.  :(

toileandtrouble

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 18:32:48 PM »
I bet you still wear it, so it was worth it.  :) 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 18:39:03 PM »
Sewbee you must get yourself along to Mandors while their sale is on (although they will be closed over NY if course). I'm sure you will be able to get nice lining fabric there too.

I see Mandors is closed until January 3rd because of the 2 day bank hol in Scotland. January 2nd was always my least favourite BH when I was a youngster in Scotland!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 18:42:09 PM by Tamnymore »