The Sewing Place

Channelling Mr Spock

Ravingdoll

Channelling Mr Spock
« on: December 17, 2017, 22:08:18 PM »
I made this today - only took a few hours and mainly because I wanted to practice with my bias binding foot.  It was a free pattern from Sew Magazine, Simplicity 8260.  When I tried it on, first thing I did was flip open my powder compact and tell Toby the Thug to “beam me up”!  How I laughed, and he looked rather underwhelmed.  This may not see the light of day again, but at least four metres of bias binding later and I think I might have mastered the binding foot!   

Iminei

Re: Channelling Mr Spock
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
Great talking point for the upcoming Christmas parties surely (Shirley)??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
Hmmm.  I two minds about this, maybe if you accessorised it....

On the plus side, you mastered the binding foot ( a skill I have yet to master).

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »
I think it's the blue, not my shade at all.

Bowerbird

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »
Hmmm, an 'interesting' colour combination. But the binding looks perfect.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 19:01:06 PM »
Well done with the binding

Ravingdoll

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 19:27:55 PM »
There’s a bit of a happy ending for the top as my pregnant sister-in-law finds it fits her quite well and she feels the back detail is a distraction from the bump.  It’s no good for me really because there’s 12inches between my bust and waist and with no darts or shaping is a bit shapeless on me, notwithstanding the Star Trek connection (which fortunately my sister-in-law doesn’t get).  My brother did make a few comments about the colour combination could only have been mine, and that NASA had spotted it from space, but I like turquoise and red together (it is more turquoise than blue IRL).  Anyway, she picked him so she’ll have to put up with him, whereas I only got landed due to accident of birth  :D :S
Yes I feel rather sanctimonious about the binding foot now!  Bring it on ....  :angel:

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 20:48:44 PM »
Very impressive, RD. You've had a chance to practise with the binding foot and found a home for the top.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Maximum

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 10:51:38 AM »
Win, win RD  :) Your brother's comments remind me so much of my OH - but if they are going to have children a sense of humour is essential!

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 17:02:09 PM »
I made this today - only took a few hours and mainly because I wanted to practice with my bias binding foot.  It was a free pattern from Sew Magazine, Simplicity 8260.  When I tried it on, first thing I did was flip open my powder compact and tell Toby the Thug to “beam me up”!  How I laughed, and he looked rather underwhelmed.  This may not see the light of day again, but at least four metres of bias binding later and I think I might have mastered the binding foot!

What a good job you did! I must admit this is something I have wanted to tackle, too, but I've been a bit intimidated. The foot makes the bias bindind AND sews it on all at the same time, doesn't it?

justpottering

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »
It needs a brooch, a star trek communicator one, then it will be perfect  :D

Good job on the binding foot mastery, I have a cunning plan to practice using all my machine feet this year wish me luck  :S
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »
Many, many years ago my university class did a float title 'Famous Scientists of the past meet Star Trek' for our Rag week procession. I well remember the poor girl who stood under an umbrella with tinsel hanging off it, wearing a cotton wool beard and carrying a plate of spaghetti - Galileo in a transporter. Anyway I landed the part of Spock and I spent hours making a pair of pointy ears from felt stuck on cardboard which I then stuck over my ears with elasoplast. I then beamed myself up in the bus to join the parade.

So.... I could check if I still have my Spock ears somewhere!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

jen

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 13:26:29 PM »
I'm very impressed with the binding foot mastery. I gave up on mine, maybe I need to get the Star Trek vibe.

Sewbee

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 13:36:22 PM »
There’s a bit of a happy ending for the top as my pregnant sister-in-law finds it fits her quite well and she feels the back detail is a distraction from the bump.  It’s no good for me really because there’s 12inches between my bust and waist and with no darts or shaping is a bit shapeless on me, notwithstanding the Star Trek connection (which fortunately my sister-in-law doesn’t get).  My brother did make a few comments about the colour combination could only have been mine, and that NASA had spotted it from space, but I like turquoise and red together (it is more turquoise than blue IRL).  Anyway, she picked him so she’ll have to put up with him, whereas I only got landed due to accident of birth  :D :S
Yes I feel rather sanctimonious about the binding foot now!  Bring it on ....  :angel:

Did you use the binding foot on a sewing machine or on an overlocker? I still need  to learn to do this. I have put binding on before but the long, old-fashioned way.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 16:49:18 PM »
@Sewbee (see UR I am doing this!).  I used the binding foot on the sewing machine, although I do have one for the overlocker - but I don't think I would use it on that.  It doesn't (or at least my binding foot doesn't) make the binding itself, although I do have a very useful and cheap gadget which I think is easily bought, Clover makes them in different sizes, and you cut out your binding strips and put them through it and lo and behold out it comes folded.  The foot though, once mastered, does make very easy work out of sewing it onto something.  But whilst practicing with it be prepared to use many swear words and ensure that those of a nervous disposition are not nearby!   :\