The Sewing Place

Cutting your loses

sewmuchmore

Cutting your loses
« on: December 19, 2017, 17:50:24 PM »
So, I was inspired to get Vogue 9112 after seeing all your lovely dresses.  I lengthened by 2 inch and chose a soft crepe from my stash as I thought it would drape well. I never got round to the collar or putting in sleeves as it is like a shapeless tent, way too much fabric.
I might have another go but make it smaller and choose a more stable fabric, although to be honest if something doesn't work out the first time round then i tend to put the pattern to the back of the drawer and the offending garment in the recyling bin.
Do you persevere with patterns that don't work as you expected or are you like me and cut your loses?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

sewingj

Re: Cutting your loses
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 18:31:55 PM »
I think there is  a fine line between "quirky" and "good grief" and quite a few images for that pattern fall into the second category!

I used to buy patterns just  because I liked the look of them but am very slowly learning what styles suit me and what don`t. And I do actually read the pattern description more carefully now -  having recently made a dress which I didn`t realise was almost backless!   It might mean that I am not as adventurous as I used to be but  less finished garments are ending up at the charity shop.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 19:04:53 PM »
I always look at the back of the pattern envelope.  The outlines are more enlightening than the artwork or photographs- they show up seamlines etc which tells me if it will be easy to fit - or not.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 19:15:01 PM »
Same here - I like to see the item on a real person, but am more interested in the shaping as shown in the outline picture, so that I can see how much of the look is down to the shape of the model!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 23:27:32 PM »
I love the collar of that pattern, but looking at the line art I saw that it's not for me. I then used my dress sloper, copied V9112's neckhole onto it and used its collar.