The Sewing Place

USA Vintage parts shop

Roger

USA Vintage parts shop
« on: December 22, 2017, 21:46:58 PM »
Hi All,

I’m looking for a US based Helen Howes equivalents...
I have a $30 gift and would like to get a pink clam buttonholer for the 500... they are too cute!

And I want to get the best of the PnP and hopefully an extended selection of templates  :)

Thank you!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

Re: USA Vintage parts shop
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 22:53:22 PM »
This forum is of course UK based, and with members from all around the world someone might know of something; but I'm thinking there might be more local knowledge on a US based site. I don't know if there are any exact equivalent to Helen Howes, but I guess Cindy Peters comes close. I think she has a facebook page with her business and she handles the TreadleOn.net web site. There's the Featherweight shop, they have parts and accessories for other models too. I think Sewclassic only have brand new replacement parts.

The buttonholer in the clamshell box is luckily common enough, and ebay is still not a bad place to look for them. As far as I know, they didn't come with the additonal templates and they were bought separately. A complete set should come with five templates (four placed in the box and one in the buttonholer) and four extra should be in a small cardboard box. I'm not sure if all variants came with the cover plate for the feed dogs, since most of the slant shanks can raise the throat plate above the feed dogs. I think the 301 needed a separate cover so I guess some at least came with one.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 01:54:49 AM by arrow »

Madame Cholet

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 23:06:17 PM »
The treadleon.net site has a flea market section:

http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/getlisted.htm

http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/forsale.html

I think you have to subscribe, which is free, and Helen Howes deals with updating the listings, according to the blurb on the pages. You can list requests for items, and I have seen requests for non-treadle stuff so it may be worth considering.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 23:35:11 PM »
I've just had a look on ebay.com and there are dozens available; unfortunately the postage is eyewateringly expensive these days isn't it since they introduced the ebay-global-shipping ripoff thing.

This one is ending in 18 hours, but has a buy-it-now option for $6.50; it would come to $33.09 altogether including shipping. There are no extra cams though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Singer-Sewing-Machine-Buttonhole-Kit-Attachment-Accessory-w-Case/302567646191?hash=item46726fe3ef:g:FhkAAOSwPqRaB1LB

It's frustrating when you see stuff on the US ebay site going for buttons, and then you see postage of $57, which some of the clam shell sellers were quoting, which is just daft really.

Good luck with your hunt!

arrow

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 01:40:58 AM »
This one might turn out to have the best price and it looks nice. You have to contact seller for p&p costs, and I guess it still will end up between £20 or £30.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 23:27:34 PM »
Thank you all,

I’ve started working through treadleon suppliers and need to have a more thorough go through eBay and start hounding people for postage quotes.

I’ll let you know how I get on!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 20:30:57 PM »
Well,
I found an nice one - all in tact, manual, and not 5 - not 8 but no less than 10 cams. 3 of them in an additional box appropriate packaging! needless to say the postage costs were eye watering, I tried to pay for it on the gift i received and it wouldn't part take! so I had to pay for it... so im back tp square 1 of trying to find something sensible to blow 30$ on...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173046789878
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 20:33:05 PM by Roger »

Madame Cholet

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 21:17:01 PM »
Well hurrah at the clam shell purchase plus all the wonderful extras!  0_0
But a great big boo hiss at the postage costs!  :S
Never mind, they say every cloud has a silver lining - you shall have to buy yourself something else now!  :ninja:

Roger

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 20:59:59 PM »
I thought I’d really got it sussed using my voucher for the clam shell...

Can’t wait to see it... the jetsons case is uniquely OTT :)

Not to complain... I now have to invent a new way to spend 30usd.... there are definitely worse problems:)