The Sewing Place

Which is the right side?

Sewbee

Which is the right side?
« on: December 24, 2017, 08:20:46 AM »
Recently I bought fabric to make trousers and a couple of tops. I thought I'd prewash some of it today if I get a chance. The fabric for the tops is cotton jersey and it's really lovely and soft but it's more like a single jersey. I thought it would be a bit thicker. It's cotton with a little elastene. I need to find out what to ask for to get slightly thicker jersey - sweater-type. It's easy to tell which is the right side with this single jersey. It's folded with the right side on the outside (opposite from the USA)

The trouser fabric is lovely, too. I had to ask which side was the right side with this one. Again it's the outside. I can't tell the difference on one of the fabrics and I want to be sure I am using the right side. Are fabrics here always folded with the right side outside, the side that you see on the bolt?

DementedFairy

Re: Which is the right side?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:34:39 AM »
Are fabrics here always folded with the right side outside, the side that you see on the bolt?

Nope, in fact, more often the opposite in my experience.  The right side is whichever side you like, and you don't even need to stick to it once chosen- I just got a great effect making a jacket for the wife with some sections using the 'wrong' side of the fabric, for subtle contrast.  Worked really well!https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/lets-get-ziggy-with-it/

You can often tell the 'official' right side by looking at the selvage.  Sometimes it's blatant, as there will be something printed along it, but otherwise I go by the 'pinholes' made by the manufacturing processes.  The way I see it [excuse me if this is a crap description but I'm not very awake yet] the holes make little 'dents' on one side, and'peaks' poking towards you on the other. The dents are usually the right side

With actual knit fabric, you can sometimes see a distinct purl/plain pattern which helps too
C'est moi!

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 09:33:32 AM »
Nope, in fact, more often the opposite in my experience.  The right side is whichever side you like, and you don't even need to stick to it once chosen- I just got a great effect making a jacket for the wife with some sections using the 'wrong' side of the fabric, for subtle contrast.  Worked really well!https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/lets-get-ziggy-with-it/

You can often tell the 'official' right side by looking at the selvage.  Sometimes it's blatant, as there will be something printed along it, but otherwise I go by the 'pinholes' made by the manufacturing processes.  The way I see it [excuse me if this is a crap description but I'm not very awake yet] the holes make little 'dents' on one side, and'peaks' poking towards you on the other. The dents are usually the right side

With actual knit fabric, you can sometimes see a distinct purl/plain pattern which helps too

Demented Fairy, we get to meet at long last!!!! :D

Now that you mention it I remember my grandmother teaching me about the pinholes in the selvedge. I asked the woman in the store about these and she told me those holes don't matter which left me really confused. I think she was new in the job.

Love that jacket you made with the diagonal zipper!!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »

I thought it was the side with the peaks that is the right side!

The holes are formed by the machinery making the fabric; little pins sticking up at the edges of the rollers are what make those holes, and if there is any printingto be done it goes onto the side of the fabric which is facing away from the rollers and so has the peaks around the holes.

Calling Raving Doll - what does Muv say about this?

I agree though that the right side is the side you like best, and the two sides can be used for subtle contrast.  Crepe back satin is the classic for that.  Just be sure to mark the fabric with chalk on the wrong side if it's difficult to tell, for instance you don't want sleeves looking very slightly different to the rest of a garment.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 11:55:09 AM »

I agree though that the right side is the side you like best, and the two sides can be used for subtle contrast.  Crepe back satin is the classic for that.  Just be sure to mark the fabric with chalk on the wrong side if it's difficult to tell, for instance you don't want sleeves looking very slightly different to the rest of a garment.

Absol;utely- told you I was tired when I wrote that!  lol
C'est moi!

Sewbee

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »

The holes are formed by the machinery making the fabric; little pins sticking up at the edges of the rollers are what make those holes, and if there is any printingto be done it goes onto the side of the fabric which is facing away from the rollers and so has the peaks around the holes.

Calling Raving Doll - what does Muv say about this?

I am wondering how to tell the right side from the wrong side when I wash it. I thought of putting a safety pin on one side but not sure that's a good idea in washer/dryer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:31:45 PM by Sewbee »

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
surely it doesn't matter?  sort it out when it's dry
C'est moi!

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
You could put a cross in the corner of the selvage on the wrong side, using permanent marker or ballpoint pen?

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 13:13:35 PM »
It really doesn't matter so long as you use the same side as the outer for all pattern pieces just in case there is a subtle difference.
Life's too short for ironing.

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 13:33:05 PM »
Make a tailor tack from the right side and leave the loops long. Tie them in a knot and they should last at least 1 wash even in the dryer. A safety pin should survive too.

Just a warning about using the wrong side as the 'right side'. Be careful that there aren't any slight bobbles or such like which don't show on the 'meant to be' right side. I found this on a multi coloured woven but fortunately managed to avoid using that part.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 13:55:24 PM »
Google the holes in the edge of the selvedges - there's a lot of disagreement about which side is the right side - some say the "smooth" side, some swear blind it's the bumpy side!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 14:02:24 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 14:04:46 PM »
We can do our own research on right side holes - I've just created a poll (hope it works), so in between stuffing your turkey and peeling your sprouts go and have a look at your stash and tell us what you find  :)

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,2989.new.html#new 

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 14:12:59 PM »
I'm of the school that I paid for both sides of the fabric, so the right side of the fabric it the one that pleases me the most   ;)

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 14:53:18 PM »
If I can't tell right from wrong, then it doesn't matter.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 19:46:49 PM »
'My mother told me' that cottons etc were rolled with the right side out on the bolt and the dents in the selvedge were on the right side. She also told me that woollen fabrics (and mixtures nowadays) were folded right sides together on the bolt (they were usually wider than cottons) so you saw the wrong side. If it isn't obvious, eg a print, or pile, as long as you stick to the 'right' side you've decided on, you should be okay.