The Sewing Place

Tell me I don't need . . .

LeilaMay

Roger

Re: Tell me I don't need . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
They’re a bottom of the line model, very no frills and quite mediocre... so I hear.

The gold is cool, but I’d save the space for a gorgeous 320 ;)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »
I do have a 319 ~  :)

Roger

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 18:56:31 PM »
I always maintain a little gap in case of a 320, or something else beautiful...  Necchi Julia, Elna Supramatic.... anything glamorous on your wish list?

The same gap is probably the last ‘final straw’ for the mrs...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 22:05:19 PM »
I have a similar dilemma. I'm trying to tell myself I don't need/want a beautiful Sphinx decal 15k which has come up locally. I have no room for it either. The auction finishes on Thursday so I need to be strong until then!  :S

eta: I've looked at lots of YouTube videos and the 15k's seem to be slightly "clunky" so I'm clinging to that as I like my machines to be really quiet.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 22:06:50 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

arrow

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 22:58:08 PM »
I can't find much info on it when searching the web, but I thought 98K and 286K were very close to a 99K and the Spartan? The advantage is the compact design, it doesn't need a separate base. It's very minimal in every way, and I assume a lot of people had lights fitted. If the small controller isn't any good I guess any general replacement would improve on it. If this model were cast aluminium, it would be much more sought after. 3/4 size light weights are few and far between. If I ever came across a 99K with a cast aluminium body!

For the 15, I don't really think you can fault it much. Most of the comparisons on the web is up gainst a Singer 201 with the gear driven motor. Nothing is a smooth as a well oiled 201.

LeilaMay

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »
You know I don't really have a wish-list for sewing machines. I just have some I like the look of :) It was the super colour and the compactness of the 98 - even though I know it's fairly basic.

I have a:
Bernina 730 Record
Husqvana - um white and 1960s? don't remember her exact number
Singer 201
Singer 99
Singer 66 (for the decals - a gift)
Singer 28 - the oldest machine I have
2 x Singer Featherweight 221 - both black
Singer 319
Elna 'Grasshopper'

Now I COULD sell one of the featherweights and add something else - what would be your best suggestion?

:)

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »
I have a similar dilemma. I'm trying to tell myself I don't need/want a beautiful Sphinx decal 15k which has come up locally. I have no room for it either. The auction finishes on Thursday so I need to be strong until then!  :S

eta: I've looked at lots of YouTube videos and the 15k's seem to be slightly "clunky" so I'm clinging to that as I like my machines to be really quiet.

Are you still being strong I wonder?  :)
I do have one machine simply for it's decals - a Singer 66K - a back clamper - with the Lotus pattern on it. I don't believe they put them on any other model, so there it is. Someone gifted me theirs, it's beautiful and I shall probably never use it, but it sits in a place where I see it often and love it every time  :heart:

Roger

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
I’d love a 66 lotus for the same reasons... my decals machine is the 48k... I feel I should find it a new owner who can take care of it...

The colour of the 98k is great, I quite fancy a 15k because of the stories of how strong they are, but the 95k is I suspect more than tough enough for me!

I’d maybe switch a 221 for a 222... it would be a good addition to your collection, especially as they have the smallest free arm going.

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 09:31:03 AM »
What decals does the machine in question have? :)

Not sure about the featherweight swap - I find I do prefer a heavier machine for nearly all the stuff I do - I'm not traveling with it so the weight to carry isn't an issue. The featherweights are fun, but not my best loved machine  . . .

Roger

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
The 48k has the ottoman rose decals http://www.sewalot.com/singer_48k.htm

They’re almost translucent metallic. Really pretty and a very unassuming machine.

Maybe a 401 or one of the Elna supramatics (there’s a white and a green one, the white I think they sorted out a problem with the belt, getting a kink and becoming noisy) they’d both add something a bit different, as well as being work horses and use standard needles.

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
That 48 is very beautiful, I can see why you keep it :)

(Looking at 401s)

Sewingsue

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
That is a beautiful machine. I also love the 'Egyptian' decal ones.
However, if I was ever going to indulge it would be with a Featherweight (and I daren't think about starting).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Roger

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »
Featherweights aren’t the be all... some people swear by them others aren’t so fussed, they are very cute tho, and a fantastic portable option, personally I like the Elna grasshopper better, mine is very rough tho the paint was peeling off it, so I stripped a lot of it off, which was a shame, if I found another I’d get it :)

401g is the commonest variety in the UK, they’re reasonably common, I love the look they always remind me of classic cars. But some people are of the opinion they’re Fugly!
Internally they’re all metal except a cog behind the hand wheel I’ve never heard of this cog breaking or needing replacing, they’re direct drive ( a little noiser than a belt but can be smoother and firmer.)

They have a ton of built in stitches by using the 2 dials, and as they’re German the stitch lengths are in cms.
They’re slant shanks, so feet can be tricky but I do like the visibility and they are almost a high shank in terms of clearance. They use top hat cams for more stitches!

The 401a 401g and 500a all have approximately the same internals. But some argue the 500 isn’t as strong as the 401 because it was style first.

If you get one and need any parts I usually have quite a few knocking about because I dote on my 500 <3.

LeilaMay

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 13:21:42 PM »
My husband declares you are a dreadful bad enabler  :)

401s look NICE

Right now I appear to be saved as all the ebay ones turn out to be in USA . . .

:vintage:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 13:29:55 PM by LeilaMay »