The Sewing Place

Tell me I don't need . . .

Roger

Re: Tell me I don't need . . .
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 13:58:27 PM »
I’m glad you like the look of the 401, (apologies to your husband!)

eBay is very skimpy at the moment! Not much on at all. I got mine from a local auction for not a lot. Hope you find a good one. But they seem to be on eBay for between 50-100 normally.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 14:14:13 PM »
I see what you mean eBay is really poor at the moment... they are incentivising sellers to get busy on there again now
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

LeilaMay

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 14:29:50 PM »
I’m glad you like the look of the 401, (apologies to your husband!)

eBay is very skimpy at the moment! Not much on at all. I got mine from a local auction for not a lot. Hope you find a good one. But they seem to be on eBay for between 50-100 normally.

Haven't found the right sort of auction here yet LOL
If you see one, let me know?

Roger

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 15:18:25 PM »
Sure thing, I keep an eye on the auction eBay and gumtree locally, I’ll let you know if I turn up a good one.

SkoutSews

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 17:34:59 PM »
You might need some patience! I waited 2 years to find a 401g local enough for pick up at a sensible price, but it was worth the wait. It's all down to luck. I put some photos in the gallery at the time.

One thing to look out for, sometimes the studs clamping the throat plate can be damaged. People think they are screws and try to take them out, whereas in fact they lift up to allow the plate to slide out (sounds easy, actually causes many sweary-words and broken nails). Zoom in on the photos to check.

arrow

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 18:22:51 PM »
I have to think twice about my vintage purchases too, but I can't resist. I still have a 201K-2 on my list, and I hope it will turn up at a time when I have the money and preferably locally since transport is always a bit risky.

I am very intersted in one of the early cast iron zigzaggers, a Bernina 117, a Mundlos Victoria (probably the first domestic zigzagger). They take regular needles.

I have hesitated a bit about the 401, they turn up now and then, and one went within a day at a local charity shop a few weeks before Christmas; less than £30 in a small table. Most go for around £50-£100. If I didn't have a Bernina 730 and an Elna Supermatic I would probably have taken a chance on the first I came a cross.

Roger has this industrial straight stitcher in a nice cabinet within reasonable size. I am still envious ;- )

If I add the Featherweight, the Grasshopper or another neat light weight portable with a clever design, that's eight more!

I have not forgotten the early Singers with rose decals, or the Gritzner with floral art nouveau decals...This thing never ends, I haven't reached the old German developments yet. I'm not expanding beyond my book shelf capacity until I have a heated barn for storage, and before that I aim for some very nice pieces of furniture :- )
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:52:02 AM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 22:37:34 PM »
Hi Skout,
I haven’t encountered any issues with the raising of the plate (you don’t drop the dogs) I have found there’s a sweet spot in the timing and leaning on the leaver a little raises the studs a slim amount more.

I hadn’t realised they were such a tough machine to find.

Arrow, that’s a nice wish list!
I’m really looking forward to using the 95k40 more in the new year. I think it might be great for circle skirts... but the top speed will take some getting used to.

Kenora

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 00:05:49 AM »
Are you still being strong I wonder?  :)

The auction finishes in 9 hours, and there are no bids so far. The fact that I've done nothing about it indicates to me that I'm not totally convinced I need (want) it. It's really pretty, and in a cabinet, but I really don't have anywhere to put it.  :(  If I saw it in a shop I would buy it on impulse, but it's much easier to resist when it's online and an unknown quantity.  :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

LeilaMay

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »
Thank you all - I will start keeping a look-out for a 401, and if Roger is scouting his half of the country too maybe we'll find one eventually (Thank you Roger I am grateful for the help)

OH says he could have one of the featherweights in his room - he just likes the look of them, which does create space for one machine  . . .

SkoutSews

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 15:23:24 PM »
Hi Skout,
I haven’t encountered any issues with the raising of the plate (you don’t drop the dogs) I have found there’s a sweet spot in the timing and leaning on the leaver a little raises the studs a slim amount more.

I hadn’t realised they were such a tough machine to find.

It's not the raising, but the changing. I sewed curtains on the 401g recently and the fabric was a right.. bother... to sew. I needed the straight stitch foot and throatplate. My lovely husband stepped in when he couldn't stand the language any longer and sorted it. He's more used to tractors, but it seems the skills are transferable.

They come up reasonably often further south, but are scarcer up here, and I was being fussy about condition. I paid just under £50 for mine and consider it a lucky find.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 15:30:08 PM »
Goodness, I've found myself off piste and in here!  It's a whole new language ..... there's a place just outside Exeter that sells all vintage machines I shall have to wander around now with some of these terms so that I can sound vaguely informed!   :[

Snowgoose

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 15:58:56 PM »
If anyone is hesitating over a 'buy it now' eBay have a 20% off code on purchases over £20 until 6pm!!  I think you can find it by clicking on daily deals, or it may show on your watched items, it would be rude not to use it...!  :ninja:

Edited to add the code!  PNY2018
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 16:05:13 PM by Snowgoose »

Deafoldbat

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 18:50:13 PM »
  there's a place just outside Exeter that sells all vintage machines I shall have to wander around now

Careful RD, it's a slippery slope... :D

Sewbee

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2017, 18:58:41 PM »
My grandmother had a Singer treadle. I remember it very well. It would have been produced, I am guessing here, around 1920-25I know there was a model that was prized around that time and she had it but I can't remember which Singer series it was. :(