The Sewing Place

Quilting project

datcat23

Quilting project
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:47:24 AM »
Ages ago, I picked up a big stack of embroidered panels.  These were completed by a learner seamstress, given an expensive sewing machine and "instructed" to produce this quilt by her now ex-husband.  She produced the panels, but then the marriage broke down, and she couldn't face trying to finish the quilt.  The centre panel needs some lines of stitching, and I plan to use my machine and a twin needle to complete those.  There is a lot of sadness surrounding these panels, and I want to make them into something beautiful.

2016-08-11_04-45-19 by Dani, on Flickr

2016-08-11_04-45-36 by Dani, on Flickr
*** I have already removed the dark green edging ..... I really dislike green***

The panels already have the batting in place within the embroidery, I think the original design was a QAYG design, although the pieces don't have any backing.  I am thinking of using a MSQ method, that puts the backing on and joins in one go.

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutorial/how-to-quilt-as-you-go-any-block

Its probably not the most elegant method, and it means the backing won't be anchored other than at the seams, but I don't think that the panels lend themselves to additional quilting.  Next I need to decide on backing/joining fabric. 

One way is a vintage floral on every single panel.  A small enough print will just blend the seams, the front would have a border of floral around each panel and the back will just look like one big piece, with big squares of stitching. 

Or .... I could source a number of blender fabrics in the same design, in a mix of colours to pick up the colours in the embroidery.  The effect on the back would be a set of mixed squares, with the front having multi-coloured borders around each panel.

What do you think? Am I on a good path, or do I risk ruining them?
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Iminei

Re: Quilting project
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »
No wonder the marriage didnt last if he instructed her to do things ... crafting is a joy and not something you should be told to do!!!

I like the vintage floral idea best; Im thinking Sanderson, William Morris and Laura Ashley here ... Something I wouldn't normally like but I think would suit this perfectly.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
I agree about the vintage floral - something that looks elegantly faded.  I also agree about removing the green binding.  I love green, but I think that is too dark.  (BTW, you and Lowena should start a club!  :P )

It is beautiful - and sad.  I think it needs to be nurtured and revived.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
I also agree about removing the green binding.  I love green, but I think that is too dark.  (BTW, you and Lowena should start a club!  :P )

Cheeky Monkey  :D
I agree with vintage of some kind
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:44:50 AM »
My first thought was she is well rid of him!

I like the vintage floral idea too, it will tie them together without dominating the panels. 

Congratulations Dani on taking something so filled with sadness and making something beautiful.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 00:21:38 AM »
I agree with using a small all-over mini floral; ideally with the beige as the dominant colour but picking up the other colours in the embroidery, and whichever construction method you are most comfortable working with.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 22:20:39 PM »
Another vote for the vintage floral from me.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath