The Sewing Place

Style Arc 25% off everything Boxing Day to NYE

Acorn

Style Arc 25% off everything Boxing Day to NYE
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »
"As a special end of year treat we're giving you 25% off, but only when you shop at www.stylearc.com. You just need to use the code BOXING25 at the checkout to get your discount. Don't miss out though, the sale ends on 31 December!"

I bought 5 Style Arc patterns on Christmas Eve, from their pre-Christmas sale.  I'm not sure I should be allowed anywhere near the site today...  :o
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:27:53 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

Re: Style Arc 25% off everything Boxing Day only
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:07:55 PM »
"As a special end of year treat we're giving you 25% off, but only when you shop at www.stylearc.com. You just need to use the code BOXING25 at the checkout to get your discount. Don't miss out though, the sale ends on 31 December!"

I bought 5 Style Arc patterns on Christmas Eve, from their pre-Christmas sale.  I'm not sure I should be allowed anywhere near the site today...  :o

If you shop on their web site I think that means they will arrive from Australia - i.e. Customs charges.

Acorn

Re: Style Arc 25% off everything Boxing Day only
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »
Not for PDF patterns - I'm a big PDF fan!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

Re: Style Arc 25% off everything Boxing Day to NYE
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 13:34:42 PM »
I've had Stylearc patterns through the post several times and not had customs charges.  I've not had more than 3 patterns at one time.
Life's too short for ironing.

Fiona M

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 14:50:02 PM »
I've never been charged any duties on my sewing patterns from Style Arc in Australia.

Sewbee

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 14:56:14 PM »
I've had Stylearc patterns through the post several times and not had customs charges.  I've not had more than 3 patterns at one time.

That's interesting. I ordered three Liesl patterns from the USA and had to pay customs duty.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 20:27:07 PM »
I have had patterns from Canada and not paid any import taxes.
My understanding is that Import tax is really the VAT and you do not pay VAT on paper products. Import duty is only applied if your goods are valued at over £135, so you shouldn't pay anything extra for paper patterns.
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 21:48:51 PM »
I was once charged tax (VAT at 20% plus £8 handling) on paper patterns from Vogue in the USA. The total value was over £15. Since then I've been careful to buy in sales so my expenditure on goods is less than £15  (I assume the threshold is still £15 ) and I've not had a problem. I've bought fabric from Spoonflower before (well over £15 worth) and not had charges. We had endless discussions about this on the old sewing forum and the conclusion seemed to be that if you purchased goods over £15 from outwith the EU sometimes you were clobbered with the customs charge but sometimes not.
Interesting that paper products shouldn't attract VAT. You'd have to trying arguing that at the sorting office!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 21:56:15 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Fiona M

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 08:33:45 AM »
The sorting office would not enter into any discussion about charges, which are levied by HMRC.  At the sorting office your choice is simple - pay for the goods to be released to you, or decline to pay, and the package will be returned to sender.
Royal Mail also charge an £8 'handling fee', in addition to any Import duty and VAT levied, which is to cover their costs for collecting and forwarding the HMRC charges.
Import duty is not the same as VAT, and dependent on value of goods, you may get charged Import duty on non VAT items.
Having said all that, I don't think I have been leathered for charges for some years now - most of my fabric splurges have come from within the EU, where they don't currently attract any extra fees.
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:37:56 AM by Fiona M »

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 10:56:07 AM »
Fiona is quite right about the charges. I should say that I wasn't serious about having an argument in the sorting office over paper patterns - once Customs have imposed the charge that's it, alas. But it is interesting that some parcels which should attract charges do manage slip through. So if you are buying more than £15 from outwith the EU, plan for charges and think of it as a bonus if you don't get any!

Of course now that the value of the £ has fallen it buys fewer dollars. At the moment 3 Vogue patterns (with ClubBMV) are less than £15 in total but might not be if the £ fell further - though we would have bigger problems than my patterns if that happened.

Once we leave the EU presumably we will have customs charges for their goods (so buy 'em now  :devil: ).

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 15:48:52 PM »
I used to get most of my Style Arc patterns from Oz, no charges.  Now I get some as PDF and occasionally from Etsy.  I try to avoid buying from Amazon these days...
C'est moi!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 16:39:19 PM »
Well I filled my shopping basket on 29/12 and then emptied it, do I really need more patterns? Wasn't I good  :o.
Today I have refilled and before you know it I hit the Paypal button (oops), and the code still works  :)
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 16:57:25 PM »
Yes I got one plus the freebie yesterday. Worked out at about £7 with the 25% off. I'm telling myself that's enough now!

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 19:25:40 PM »
I did the penance for those who couldn't resist.  I had had a browse and was going to get a couple of patterns when off went the broadband.  BT have been here today to hook us back up - I do still want the patterns but too late for the discount.  Just to add to it the computer died on new years eve.
Life's too short for ironing.