The Sewing Place

Bra and undie making - I need to get started!

Francesca

Bra and undie making - I need to get started!
« on: February 28, 2017, 22:48:34 PM »
I *might* have been accruing quite a lot of lace recently, promising myself I'm going to start sewing bras and pants.

I've not been able to wear matching undies for a very long time because I can never find my sizes in matching sets, ugh!

Anyone else want to push me on to get started on sewing? I have watched the whole Craftsy class all the way through!

BrendaP

Re: Bra and undie making - I need to get started!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
Hi Francesca (you are Fran who helped get this forum up and running aren't you?)

I won't have time today, but in the next couple of days I'll try to re-create the post I put on the old TSF about my experiences of making bras, and the (very short) list of places to get supplies.

Brenda.  My machines are: Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy, Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitch.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
Much appreciated!

Perhaps if you're willing to show it with some pictures we could put it in the tutorials forum, and then I can add it as a sticky link in this forum so newcomers can find it easily.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Yes please, to both of those ideas Brenda and Fran!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 21:34:23 PM »
I admire your desire to make undies, but there's no way I'd ever be tempted to do such fiddly things  :[
I shall be watching for your posts though.

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 21:39:30 PM »
I've got the Craftsy classes but not got as far as making any undies yet. I've enjoyed watching Beverly Johnson though!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Owner of a Bernina 730 Record & a Singer 201K.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 21:18:57 PM »
Beverly Johnson's bra making classes and courses are highly regarded and I was going to suggest her to Fran, but you beat me to it.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 21:23:41 PM »
It has been really enjoyable to watch.

I have all the bits to make a red bra like in the class (the full cup one). Not my style really but a good introduction (and I chose red as I thought it'd be more interesting, and slightly nicer than the blergh pink she uses in her class, but I guess it's good for the camera).

I then went crazy and bought tonnes of lace for the Shelley pattern from her company. This is the one with the lace over the cup. I bought them all in stretch, along with some cup lining to turn them rigid. This means I can use stretch lace on the knickers and then "convert" it to rigid lace for the cups.

I've bought some gorgeous seafoam green, some highlighter pink and orange, some cappucino, rose red, lilac... went a bit mad. Lace is really cheap!

Now I need to just make the first full cup one to get the fit right.

My best friend is very excited as she's a 30J and currently has to ask for "birthday money" each year from her parents to go and buy new bras as a year's worth costs her about £200.