The Sewing Place

Irons

Bobbinalong

Irons
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
Now it's the sales I've decided that it may finally be time to buy a new iron. I've had my Tefal turbo pro with a ceramic plate for several years now and it's fine apart from it's steaming ability. I find it a bit lacking when I want steam quite often, especially at lower temperatures (which is understandable to an extent I suppose). I seem to remember Philips Azur being spoken of very highly on the forum before and so I've been looking at those and I've come across the ones they call 'intelligent technology' where you appear to not have to worry about temperature setting as it supposedly will never scorch. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this type of iron and whether there are any pitfalls to consider if your main use is for dressmaking. I'm wondering how such an iron would cope with iron on interfacing for example and whether pressing could be more fiddly. Also, whether because of the way it works and because it doesn't know what type of fabric it's working on, if you could actually obtain a decent steam on low temperature requirement fabrics e.g. viscose.

Any thought or experiences with any irons appreciated

SkoutSews

Re: Irons
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
I bought one of these recently and it's now all packed up ready to go back! That should tell you something of what I thought of it. It certainly didn't scorch the fabric, on the contrary it didn't get hot enough to get the creases out of cotton. The ironing took far longer than with my Tefal pro express and my arm and wrist ached from pressing hard to try to get a decent result. Shame, if it had an adjustable thermostat it would have been a good iron.

Avoid!

Bobbinalong

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 12:17:18 PM »
Thanks SkoutSews, that's a definite thumbs down then!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 16:52:53 PM »
99% of my iron use is for sewing.  I really can't bring myself to spend a lot of money on an iron so the one I've got was a cheapy from the supermarket.  It's a Tefal Maestro, probably bottom of the range.  It merrily chugs out steam whenever required and I don't think I've ever used it on the highest steam setting.  I have no problem with fusible interfacings and it did an excellent job pressing and steaming a traditionally tailored tweed jacket.  It frequently gets knocked off the ironing board and bounced on the floor and I really wouldn't like to admit how many times I've inadvertently left it switched on for a day or more.  I've used and abused it for at least 6 years now.
An automatic cut off would be the only thing I would want to add to it.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 20:21:56 PM »
You can't beat a good heavy dry iron.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to make domestic models any more.  I dread the day my Morphy Richards' goes pop, although I have seen some on ebay.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 20:29:37 PM »
Also got one of the Philips.  Mine is a tank iron.   Whilst it's still working fine, I'm really not impressed with an iron deciding on the temperature for me.  Drives me crazy.  Like SkoutSews says, doesn't really get hot enough for me.  DH tends to do the ironing as he has retired and he's ok with it.  Unfortunately when I looked at irons later on, many seem to be going over to this technology.  Obviously to stop us using too much electricity. 

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »
I have a now obsolete Murphy Richards steam iron. It’s heavy and has good steam. I did buy a replacement as the base was damaged by fusible facings. The replacement has auto turn off. This is useless for both normal ironing and pressing. It turns off quickly and spews water when placed on the fabric because it’s lost heat  :devil:

I found some iron cleaner on Amazon and now my old iron is good as new. My citeria is it has to be heavy, so always handle before I buy. I was also watching a tailor on YouTube and he used dry heat and a paint brush and water. He’d dip the paint brush in water and “paint” the seam, shaking excess water first. For larger areas he’d use a damp pressing cloth.
Procrastination get behind me

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 14:30:07 PM »
try a dauber http://www.threadsmagazine.com/2014/05/23/video-make-your-own-tailors-pressing-tool  = precision pressing

Press Cloth + Dry iron + dauber and/or water spray is best for sew & press

Steam irons and steam generator irons are ideal for ironing.

A high spec Phillips Azur steam iron and a Morphy Richards steam iron are used in the sewing room.
For household ironing just before Christmas I replaced a Philips Steam 5bar pressure generator iron with a Tefal Pro Express 6.5bar pressure steam generator.

Even though on the Phillips the iron had it's own dial for temperature and the tank had it's own buttons including eco, I was never completely happy with it.  The Tefal's spec is much less fancy than the Phillips (and cost much less too).  So far the Tefal does exactly what it says on the tin.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 14:50:48 PM by Morgan »

maliw

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 14:43:47 PM »
I use a plant spray -£1 from supermarket, I got fed up with my old iron leaving dirty marks, so now I use a dry iron and spray the bit that needs it.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 15:11:13 PM »
Just to add, specifically on the dressmaking question, for fusing interfacings I always use a dry iron with a pressing cloth. There is no way that 'intelligent technology' iron would be hot enough for the task. I do have a £14 iron from Lidl for the sewing room, which was a great buy, but I wouldn't want to tackle a pile of ironing with it.

This thread is very useful for helping me decide what to get to replace the hated Phillips. I'll probably go back to Tefal. So many thanks, Bobbinalong!

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 21:10:11 PM »
I was also watching a tailor on YouTube and he used dry heat and a paint brush and water. He’d dip the paint brush in water and “paint” the seam, shaking excess water first. For larger areas he’d use a damp pressing cloth.
You can't go wrong with heavy dry iron and a damp cloth for creating steam.

Bobbinalong

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 22:06:09 PM »
Thanks everyone, your comments have been really useful. I'm definitely turned off the automatic heat versions now and it would seem that actually the iron that I have already is not so bad  -<  I have a Tefal turbo pro 500 with an ultra guide sole plate (not ceramic as I originally said) and it's a few years old now. It is nice and heavy and at higher temperatures does fine for steam output although the 'shot of steam' button isn't reliable and the water spray button isn't great. I think from what you've all said I'm just going to have a water spray bottle by my side and look at making a dauber as Morgan suggested. I think perhaps I was expecting too much wanting to have a good steam output at lower temperatures.

On the subject of automatic cutout, mine cuts out after 8 minutes of not being used. I don't find this a problem as I know when I need to give it a shake to wake it up ahead of wanting to use it. I specifically got a cut out model after twice leaving my previous iron on while out of the house for several hours.

Sewingsue

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »
Must find the box with my old dry iron.

It is all too easy to think that some new gadget will suddenly make your work better. Yes, sometimes someone can introduce you to a new product which is an improvement, but so often people produce beautiful work using older equipment - they just have more talent/have practiced more.

Maybe one day that basic fact will penetrate my thick skull.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

supergran

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 18:08:09 PM »
I know exactly what you mean SewingSue. Same goes for me!  :S

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
I have just found this

On the Sartitalia site, but it doesn't seem active so I will have to see if I can find the iron elsewhere.