The Sewing Place

My Daughter's Prom Dress.

Sandra

My Daughter's Prom Dress.
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
I ordered it from China!  :S :fish: :fish:

What could possibly go wrong?  0_0

About a month ago, my daughter was browsing dresses online and found one she liked...really liked.
The image on the website showed a lovely off-the-shoulder, A-line dress with elbow length sleeves....it really did look very, very nice indeed, and I could imagine it suiting her...so we ordered it. :fish: ( I know! I should know better  :fish:)

I searched online first for reviews about the company involved and was surprised to see people were either very happy with their dresses or absolutely disgusted...there weren't many inbetween...but of course, you never know whether they're real reviews or fake...so we nervously waited for the dress to arrive.

It is here!
Arrived this morning exactly when they said to expect it. My daughter is happy with it and I'm happy with how it's made.

I was never worried about the fit of the dress. My daughter's a funny size...( aren't we all?  :))..and I know I can alter it and tweak it to fit. My only concern was if it was inferior, rubbish, cheap, tatty fabrics...and it's not.

Here's a sneaky look at the back...she'll be annoyed if she finds out I've put her on here.

As it is at the moment...I need to widen the sleeves...change the huge bust cups for some which are my daughters size...and shorten it, probably removing the train...(The seam at the waistline is tight too and I know the back's ruckled...I can sort it closer to the event)

All doable...but the Prom isn't until June, so I'm not going to worry about any of it yet.

It could have been a disaster, but we're happy with this....no problems for us.

Sandra.
xxx

Vegegrow

Re: My Daughter's Prom Dress.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 13:36:16 PM »
That's brave Sandra.. I've seen the insides of some dresses made in China and they can be unusual to say the least. Love the colour and Pretty Lace of your DD's dress and look forward to seeing the front view when she's off to the Prom
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 15:46:38 PM »
Gorgeous! I still have my Leaver's Ball hanging in the cupboard at my Mum's house but no idea what to do with it.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 15:54:28 PM »
Looks good, love the colour  :)

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 16:16:23 PM »
That's brave Sandra..

Yes...'Brave'... or it could have turned out that I was an utter idiot.  :| (In which case, I may have been too ashamed to admit to my stupidity.)

I know what you mean...I've altered some really roughly and shoddily made garments in the past which were 'bought online'. I hoped this wasn't going to be like one of those.
I altered one just before Christmas which had been bought online. A strapless, sequinned evening dress which had no support, no boning, no interfacing/interlining...it was simply a tube of stretch lined fabric in a dress shape. I did what I could to get it to hold up better.

This one we've got is nicely finished off with decent lining and it's boned properly.

It's made me wonder about some of the reviews. Some said their dress was nothing like the picture, and others were delighted with theirs. Ours is just as we'd hoped and just like the picture.
Perhaps it depends which design you want and where exactly it's made. I suppose some orders might be completed in other factories and some are much better than others...?

Sandra.
xxx

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 20:39:17 PM »
You were one of the lucky ones as it's very much a lottery as to what you get when ordering from some Chinese vendors. The good thing is that you are able to deal with the necessary adjustments.

Bowerbird

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 22:51:33 PM »
I love the colour, and will just have to wait to see the front. Glad everyone is happy with it, and how eminently sensible to buy it well in advance and not be caught out by a potential last minute disaster.

I think the secret to buying from China is to give oneself plenty of time, and always be prepared for a dud. I bought  what looked to be a pale beige bedspread, it turned out to be a very pale lemon. Not quite what I had in mind.

Missie

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »
My friend ordered her wedding dress from China and is was well made, although not enough boning in it and what there was was very narrow.  Had to do a few minor alterations but it was fine.  Your daughter's dress looks lovely.

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:58:52 AM »
Here's a picture of the front. I've cropped it to lose my daughters unfortunate expression  :S ....I caught her on camera pulling a really odd face.

I overheard her telling her friend about the dress, saying it's got massive 'tit pads' in it  >< 0_0 She doesn't fill it at all...bless.

I'm a bit sorry she doesn't want the train on it. I quite like it but she say's it's a bit 'extra' and she doesn't do 'extra'...the bottom of the dress has lace motifs all around, so that'll be fun  :\

Sandra.
xxx

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »
My sister has ordered 2 wedding dresses from China (she's been married twice) one was massive and the other was nothing like the picture. You were lucky!

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 22:31:57 PM »
Tonight is Prom night.  :)

Took a few pictures in the back garden but none of them were very good. This is one of the better ones. I suppose she'll have had several taken this evening with her friends. I thought I ought to show you what she looks like.

Hairdresser this afternoon told her they 'don't do Prom hair' and they 'don't do curls' like the one in the picture she showed to them, so she (grumpily) came home, washed it, I dried it as straight as I could (it's very curly naturally), then loosely curled it for her.
(The same hairdressers last week told her to bring in a picture to show the sort of thing she'd like them to do for her prom hair.  ><)

The hair and jewellery gave her a 'vintage' look and I wished the dress had been a vintage style....she left the house feeling happy and confident...and looking quite glamorous.
She'll probably return looking hot, bothered, with sore feet and with rips in the dress.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 22:49:40 PM »
She looks wonderful - and so does the dress.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

PollyWally

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 23:43:42 PM »
She looks lovely, very sophisticated. I hope she has a great time after all the preparations and exam stress.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »
She has a bit of the Kate Bush about her if you dont mind me saying ... and I do mean that as a big compliment ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »
Lovely, I hope all went well and the dress looks great especially after all the horror stories that we read.
DD ordered her wedding dress online, it came from China but via a company in the UK ( I suppose they 'vet' them) and it was lovely, great value for what she paid for it. When she told me what she had done (she didn't mention the UK company) I was horrified.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula