The Sewing Place

Breathable warm lining?

Francesca

Breathable warm lining?
« on: December 28, 2017, 16:26:21 PM »
What lining would you use for an outdoor jacket?

I want to make an outdoor jacket with a nice technical outer fabric (a peachskin feel breathable and waterproof fabric I have found, with a thin insulting but breathable interliner).

I can't figure out what lining to use though. I want it to be warm to the touch but not warm if that makes sense. Problem I always have is that I get too hot but I want to be able to wear a sweatshirt or something underneath it and not boil when I walk. Hence something that is warm to the touch but not thick.

It also needs to be breathable as the other layers are breathable. Hence good for sweat.

I've been looking at microfibre but they all seem a bit shiny and "outer"ish and not lining type. I thought about fleece but it seems almost too thick.

Missie

Re: Breathable warm lining?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 16:30:43 PM »
As far as I know fleece comes in 2 varieties - polar fleece, which is really quite thick and microfleece, which is actually quite thin and lightweight.  Have a look at the latter and try some samples.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 16:33:24 PM »
I like the idea of insulting lining- a sort of little muffled voice from minside your coat saying 'jeez you look fat today' and 'your father smelt of elderberries' 0_0 0_0 0_0 :devil:

On the other hand, I just had the same dilemma when choosing the insides for my raincoat- also a waterproof, breathable outer.  I chose a nice high quality acetate lining [one of those lovely shot ones for inside posh suits] and interlined it with an old duvet cover 'quilting' through at 2" spacing to keep it all together.  I haven't used any fusible interfacings, just morelayers from the duvet cover.  It LOOKS as though the weight is good, and only time will tell if it does the job.  I get too hot too!
C'est moi!

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 16:34:45 PM »
First thing that springs to mind is cotton flannel maybe in a check/tartan pattern. Minerva has a good selection of colours or plenty on Ebay. Cosy but not too warm.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 16:37:42 PM »
Oh dear I hadn't noticed that!

My concern with acetate is that it is not warm to the touch. So if I do just put the jacket on with nothing on my arms (which I sometimes do to keep the temperature down) then it gets quite cold. Hence why I thought something warm-ish might be good.

I'll investigate microfleece. I wonder if you can get breathable ones.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 16:55:26 PM »
Oh dear I hadn't noticed that!

My concern with acetate is that it is not warm to the touch. So if I do just put the jacket on with nothing on my arms (which I sometimes do to keep the temperature down) then it gets quite cold. Hence why I thought something warm-ish might be good.

I'll investigate microfleece. I wonder if you can get breathable ones.
Microfleece is simply a thin version of the usual fleece fabric, and will therefore be breathable. I do wonder if it may be too stretchy as a lining?

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 17:39:30 PM »
I think any fleece (other than cotton fleece) as they would make you hot, as they are usually made of polyester.

Have you looked at any of these?

Cotton fleece for lining(if you can find some),then it is breathable and will keep you warm too.

Viscose lining. That is breathable but maybe not as warm as you might like it at times. So either make an inner that can be put in and taken out when it is required perhaps?

Also, Bemberg lining is breathable but same as viscose (not that warm).
https://www.tailoronten.com/blogs/news/3401262-bemberg-the-king-of-linings

I was looking at a fabric recently and it is an organic quilted cotton which could do as a lining on its own or as an inner lining maybe with bemberg or viscose lining? I can't find the one I was looking at yesterday but have found this and it is showerproof. The one I was looking at was a lot thinner and wasn't showerproof. But I think the link shows the type of thing you could look for and in different weights? Main thing is to go for a natural fabric with no polyester or artificial fibres in it.

http://www.eufabrics.com/quilted-fabrics/310-quilted-fabric-breathable-waterproof.html#/type-fabric_per_meters/colour-olive_307

** Bamboo woven fabric or bamboo mixed with viscose looks good too but can only see that can be bought from USA unfortunately, The fabrics in the above link are a bit too thick for a lining so am still trying to find the one on eBay I saw the other day. Should have bookmarked it!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 18:06:18 PM by Lizzy777 »

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 20:30:30 PM »
I lined one of my earlier coats with brushed cotton - even the sleeves - and would do so again.  Kasha would be ideal, but you can't buy it in this country.
What goes around comes around.