The Sewing Place

Hello and my UFO

Lowena

Re: Hello and my UFO
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 18:43:39 PM »
Lovely quilt. You don't need bias binding on quilts unless you have curved corners. Tension problems become immediately apparent. Try lengthening your stitches. Sorry if this doesn't help......I've been  :toast: :toast: all afternoon.
P.S. I always hand quilt and will help if I can  :toast:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Suziequeue

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 19:24:15 PM »
Yes - lengthening the stitches has helped a bit. Perhaps I am being a bit too pedantic and should just bl&&dy well get on with it!! I’m probably just looking for excuses >:) >:) >:)

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 19:51:33 PM »
I've only just seen this thread, but the photos of the quilt in progress look LUVERLY.

I agree with Low about not needing to make bias binding unless you are binding curves, but if it's  done now then it's done and don't beat yourself up over it.

Putting a thick layer of fabric and wadding through the machine would, I think, mean lowering the pressure on the foot.  Only alter the top tension if it's gone out of kilter with the bobbin thread - and don't mess with the bobbin thread.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Suziequeue

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
Thanks BrendaP. I hand’t thought about reducing the foot pressure. I shall have to look that up.

With regard to the tension, the top thread just does seem to be showing through underneath slightly. I wouldn’t dare fiddle with the bobbin tension  :o :o

In the end I just got on with it this morning as I felt that these “technical glitches” were just a ruse for my procrastination. I have got one of those “extra leg” things that goes on the back of the needle arm to push the top side through which helped.

So - now just to sew up the behind and get the thing cleaned and pressed nicely...... then find a bed to put it on!!