The Sewing Place

I saw some lovely curtains and wondered ...

UttaRetch

I saw some lovely curtains and wondered ...
« on: December 30, 2017, 13:45:37 PM »

at coat possibilities.  However, I think the stripes would only work with a shapeless pattern and that's not my style.

Tamnymore

Re: I saw some lovely curtains and wondered ...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 13:54:19 PM »
The flowery one could turn into a nice jacket or 'shacket' depending on its weight.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 15:02:42 PM »
Love the stripy one, shame I don't live near you as I would have snapped that up straight away.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 18:30:44 PM »
those stripes say shift dress to me.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 18:56:13 PM »
Love the stripy one, shame I don't live near you as I would have snapped that up straight away.
Found them in a charity shop and left them there. :D

Definitely need a pattern with little shaping or seams, but the fabric is probably too heavy for a dress.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 00:14:52 AM »

Definitely!  and the floral one says circular skirt
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 16:41:21 PM »
I think I would keep the stripes ones as curtains because I like them.  The remind me a bit of Orla Kiely colours (which I am a great fan of).  Good though UR that the sewing mojo is returning ....

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
The colours in the striped curtains are what really caught my eye, but generally a curtain weight is quite good for a light wear coat.

Finishing the shirtdress will mark the return of my mojo.

CarolC

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 14:18:37 PM »
Pretty!

The flowered one is, I think, a Liberty fabric from about 10 years ago - I have some in a different colour way (bright greens and yellow). It was sold at Liberty in the dressmaking fabrics section, but was definitely heavy enough for curtains. 

I actually bought it to make a coat but then decided that I would look too much like a walking sofa and so it sits in the stash waiting to be cut!

I'd think a short jacket or a sleeveless shift dress would be a better use for either fabric than a coat. Or a skirt in a simple shape. I'd make it quite fitted to avoid the walking sofa/walking curtains look. Hmmm, maybe I ought to get that fabric out again in time for the summer....

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 14:21:53 PM »
Oooh Utta if you find yourself going back that way, would you measure those stripey curtains for me?!

I actually want some new curtains for our bedroom and they would be perfect. Looks like they have large grommets - exactly what I'm after.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 19:45:08 PM »
@CarolC: I love florals and don't mind looking like an item of furniture. 0_0  Finding a suitable pattern is going to be the key as I am not a slim woman and prefer 'fit and flare'.