The Sewing Place

Jalie Bomber jacket finished!

Vezelay

Jalie Bomber jacket finished!
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »
https://jalie.com/jalie3675-charlie-bomber-jacket
My first Charlie Bomber's done and dusted as of this morning. So obviously it wasn't ready for New Year's Day - what was I thinking? I messed up the second welt pocket (it doesn't show) and struggled with the collar fronts despite watching that bit of the video tutorial a zillion times. Oh and I just noticed the two bottom fronts aren't even despite all my efforts. I really want to understand how to make the collar fronts fall just right as I can't wait to make more of the Charlie.

But it was all worth it because...I love it - can't take it off  :) (well since I put in on an hour ago).

I made Mccalls 7100 a while back as a wearable toile but decided to carry on searching for the perfect bomber jacket because the way they attached the pockets and the front of the waistband caused extreme lumpiness. Mine is one of the least flattering examples on Patternreview but then it is a toile and useful for gardening and diy!

I made a size S in the Jalie according to my bust measurement and made no pattern changes other than shortening the sleeves 2". Really, who has arms that long? I'm glad I decided on the plastic/nylon separating zip - I had to shorten it which was a useful skill to acquire and is explained in the video, but thank you to the blogger who told me replacing the zip stops isn't essential.

So I might try a different pattern or I might make this one again. And I might ask my collar question in a separate post first. Pics:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:59:14 PM by Vezelay »

Ellabella

Re: Jalie Bomber jacket finished!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:40:07 PM »
We can tell you like it from the lovely smile.

I think it looks fab, the colours are lovely.  Nobody else will notice the fronts are not perfectly level unless you point it out, and most people don't peer too closely at that part of your body.

I do like Jalie patterns, they always seem to go together well.

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »
That is just gorgeous, Vezelay!  It looks fab on you, no wonder you don't want to take it off!

Fiona M

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 13:53:50 PM »
It's gorgeous!  <3

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 14:24:07 PM »
That's a lovely jacket and very wearable. The black sleeves were a good choice too. It'll be cosy with a warm polo underneath for the cold weather (I'm feeling chilly today, how can you tell!)

Bobbinalong

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 14:26:22 PM »
That looks fab - can you tell where you got that great floral fabric from please?

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 16:35:13 PM »
That looks fab - can you tell where you got that great floral fabric from please?
Yes!

It really is lovely.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 17:21:29 PM »
Thank you! I was going to post a link to the fabric https://www.dressfabrics.ie/fabric-shop/ponte-de-roma-black-floral-design/ because it feels as nice as it looks, lovely and soft. It does have a tendancy to fray when unpicked - ask me how I know  :\. I see it's only just sold out but Maeve might well be getting some more as she seems to use regular suppliers - I can ask her. She's one of only a couple of dress fabric (as opposed to quilting or soft furnishing fabric) online shops in Ireland but she'll ship anywhere - always good quality stuff, reliable and fast. She's a proper sewist with a real shop too and I'm more than happy to put any business her way.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 19:28:52 PM »
Love the jacket and thanks for the link to the fabric shop. 

fajita

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 01:25:33 AM »
The jacket looks lovely.
You look so comfortable wearing it.

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 02:56:17 AM »
Your bomber jacket is quite lovely.

Mocarroll

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 21:32:09 PM »
Well done you, definitely the right decision to do solid colour sleeves! Looks lovely, thank you for sharing it with us.

Vezelay

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 20:10:43 PM »
If anyone is interested, I just noticed dressfabrics.ie is selling a 1.2m remnant of the black floral fabric for €11. Just use the link in my previous post.

lakaribane

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 16:30:55 PM »
I'm glad you went with the black solid sleeves! I love the jackect!

Kittensposies

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 19:26:48 PM »
Oh that is gorgeous!! I love your choice of fabric, and it looks awesome on you!!