The Sewing Place

Pegboard Wall

Francesca

Pegboard Wall
« on: January 03, 2018, 20:06:47 PM »
I am very excited  0_0 Boyfriend has agreed that for my birthday, we can put up a pegboard wall in the dining room (aka sewing room) for me to keep my tools on.

Currently we have two very wonky shelves loaded up with stuff. I need a good clear-out anyway but I'm excited to get the room looking neater.

This is how it currently looks:

The plan is to put up a pegboard, which we will be drilling ourselves from plywood.

Some inspiration:

It will likely take a while to get all the little bits as I want racks for thread, some hooks et cetera as well as shelves.

Vezelay

Re: Pegboard Wall
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 20:53:24 PM »
Now there's  a very interesting idea. Will you make the pegs yourselves or buy them and drill holes to fit. I was going to put up shelves but maybe your board would work better. Do please post pics when it's up.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 21:01:26 PM »
I have never made a peg board but I did make a drying rack for yarn skeins out of pieces of wooden broom handles and lengths of 2" x 4" wood aeons ago, and my advice would be to practice practice practice drilling on a spare piece of ply as any hole not truly perpendicular will lead to wonky pegs.
Best of luck with your pegboard, and please do post pics!
I nurse unloved vintage Berninas back to health and then just cannot bring myself to part with any of them... 807, 830, 840, 530-2, 930, 910, and a modded 717 in a Singer treadle base.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 21:09:11 PM »
Yes we will use our own pegs. We will use dowel rod an cut it to size. I haven't quite decided the best way to put an "end" on these... for when I want to hang things that might otherwise fall off. I will probably have a good check of the available doorknobs and see if I can find a good one that will drill on the end of the dowels.

MC; regarding the holes we will indeed be doing lots of practice!! Oh and lots and lots of measuring, triple checking... it is the bit I am most worried about!

Pinkstar

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 21:25:38 PM »
Oh wow! looks good, although I was imagining a much more lightweight pegboard at first  :)  that will hold some serious weight.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 21:36:09 PM »
I think you can get hold of devices called drill guides or drill blocks which you can use as an aid to drilling a 'straight' hole; I have never used one but they may be worth googling.
A pillar drill is best for drilling perpendicular holes in wood but as they are bench mounted their reach is limited and you'd only manage holes relatively close to the edge of what you were working on.
So a pillar drill is great for drilling holes in strips of wood but not so useful for a large piece of plywood.
I think the concept of a drill guide is to create a kind of portable pillar drill effect, it would be interesting to find out what other people's experiences of them have been like. HTH.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 21:43:27 PM by Madame Cholet »
I nurse unloved vintage Berninas back to health and then just cannot bring myself to part with any of them... 807, 830, 840, 530-2, 930, 910, and a modded 717 in a Singer treadle base.

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
I showed your pics to DH and he said DD and her partner have just made one for the shop in the range of buildings they have their print studio in ...  (she has done a 1 year 2 evenings a week carpentry course and has access to a wide range of power tools drills saws etc )..DH says the size of the holes is most important they need to be a fraction smaller than the dowel so it fits snug and secure in the hole.. the door knob idea will work well for the hanging pegs drill a small hole and screw them in
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
Just googled and found this "drill straight guide".

I wondered if anyone in the know could cast their eye and see if it's the right thing to buy.

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 13:38:30 PM »
DH looked and said he has never used anything like this.. and how did you clamp it to keep it still.. he suggested you tube and see how it works .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPR5JhTFdc
 he also said you could use the money you spend on it on buying something predone  :devil: ( but he's like that  :ninja:)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 15:07:35 PM »
I couldn't afford the pre-done ones they're £200 plus. At least with this it's just the wood and dowels. I don't want the horrible cheap hardboard type you put up in a workshop. The sewing room is our dining room so it needs to look like a nice piece of furniture.

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 15:43:07 PM »
I couldn't afford the pre-done ones they're £200 plus.
Blimey £200  :o

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 15:52:23 PM »
Do Ikea not do something similar ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 17:20:07 PM »
They do, but I don't like it  :/  It's white and plastic and not nice and I'd need about four to make the size I want and I think it'll look weird.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 18:13:35 PM by Iminei »

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 17:20:37 PM »
It looks like the right thing for getting vertical holes - is the 9.5mm max big enough for what you want?  The supports in the picture are quite a bit bigger than that.
I'm thinking you might need a hole saw bit for the drill.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 17:22:37 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 00:45:26 AM »
You'll love your pegboard wall and never look back. Looking forward to see pictures and progress updates  :) I don't have a whole wall I can dedicate, just 2 smallish areas in my sewing room left and right of the window seat. For reasons nobody can explain, you can't buy pegboard in Hing Kong (DIY is not really pursued here), so I got this from Amazon - reasonable priced, ready made steel pegboards. In white for my sewing room in Hong Kong, and galvanised steel for my sewing area in Thailand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J6FSDS/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1