The Sewing Place

30 minutes in Immanuels

Madame Cholet

Re: 30 minutes in Immanuels
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 15:43:20 PM »
:loveit: :o

Not a place for the indecisive, I think!  I asked Mr Acorn if he fancied a holiday in Burnley... he said he wouldn't mind one that went close enough to Burnley to be able to visit...  :ninja:

There is a Premier Inn in Burnley. It is 4 miles from Immanuels, and the rooms are around £35 per night (the cheapest non-cancelling option, otherwise they are around £50) for a twin/double room. I have stayed in too many Premier Inns to list over the years and although they are not everyone's cup of tea, for overnight stays in central locations they are excellent, and I can heartily recommend their breakfasts...

Yes. Shameless enabling. Guilty as charged. :devil:

maliw

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2018, 15:55:57 PM »
How long did it take to get there MC? I don't NEED any more fabric and my sewing playmate is away at the moment but when she comes home - well ---------
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2018, 16:06:12 PM »
We like Premier Inns.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2018, 16:10:21 PM »
How long did it take to get there MC? I don't NEED any more fabric and my sewing playmate is away at the moment but when she comes home - well ---------

It took us an hour and 25 minutes to get there. It took us longer to get back as it was rush hour by then.
The route we took was from Birkenhead through the Birkenhead tunnel and then up Scottie Road way and then on to the M58 past Skem, then onto the M6, and then on the M65 to Burnley - 55 miles.
It was quite a pleasant drive apart from Switch Island which can be nerve-racking  :S

Edit - I just checked the AA website and if you go on the M53 - M56 - M6 - M65 to Burnley instead and avoid the tunnel tolls and Liverpool - and Switch Island - the journey time is about the same but is 78 miles, so an extra 23 miles each way.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 16:17:12 PM by Madame Cholet »

maliw

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2018, 16:16:30 PM »
Thank you MC that's the way I would go.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Madame Cholet

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2018, 16:18:21 PM »
We like Premier Inns.   :D

I like their breakfasts.   0_0

Efemera

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2018, 16:19:26 PM »
Going Friday and staying at the Premier Inn, it’s only 2hrs away so could do it in a day but making a mini break of it.

Morgan

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2018, 18:12:40 PM »
Depending on the range of things you may like to do, there are plenty of places to visit or things to do to fill a 3 or 4 day trip away exploring the area around Burnley and East Lancs in general as well as visiting the different fabric outlets, including venturing over into Yorkshire if there's time, energy and any fabric money left.

Towneley Hall Art Gallery & Museum and Towneley Park
Gawthorpe Hall (including a textiles collection)
The Singing Ringing Tree (pick a fair weather day)
The Wayside Arts Trail
Canal Cruises
Ightenhill Park, Scott Park, Queens Park
Pendle Hill and Pendle Heritage Centre
Haworth Art Gallery (+Tiffany Art glass)
Weavers Triangle Visitors Centre, (Burnley Wharf)
Mining Museum
Wycoller Hall

And then it's only a short trip across to Fabworks at Dewsbury and that's a whole other trip.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2018, 18:22:33 PM »
Had to smile to myself whilst reading all about your route planning. It took me 4 weeks last summer to get there. We did go by boat though, straight up the Leeds Liverpool canal. And the Shuttle at Shipley is only a stones throw from the canal as well.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet