The Sewing Place

30 minutes in Immanuels

Vegegrow

30 minutes in Immanuels
« on: January 04, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »
some photos of the haul from Immanuels on Tuesday
I have tried to resize these in a different way so hopefully this works I may have to edit!!

yay it worked
 Pic I left to right     a wool look knit 2.5 metres £3  5 x 1m pieces of Rose and Hubble sample linen look cotton £2.50 each
Pic 2   3 plain cotton poplin 2m each 2 floral and 1 bike all Rose and Hubble all £2.50 a metre 1 m grey fleece didn't ask price and 1 piece of tartan fleece from the  £1 a metre room
First 3 plain upholstery weight cottons £1 a metre  patterned curtain weight  2 samples at 50p each and the stripe is a £1 metre ...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:21:37 AM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: 30 minutes in Immanuels
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:51:27 AM »
Oooooh, bicycles  0_0  <3
Great haul, well done!  Wish I had a shop like that near me.

Roger

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 12:50:46 PM »
Blimey! You must fabric shop like it’s supermarket sweep! That an impressive haul for 30 mins and very reasonable.

It takes me ages to select a fabric and pay for it!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 14:28:59 PM »
Crikey Vege I hope you had help to carry all that.

Am slightly worried that you say its tidier, hope they're not going upmarket.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 14:32:27 PM »
You must be very decisive, what a great haul. I'm glad that Immanuel's is still going now that we don't hear about it. I'm still promising myself a visit.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 15:00:05 PM »
I think with a time limit you are more decisive .. and Immanuels is a long way from Suffolk I had a list when I went in.. look at wool knits if I found something I liked I would buy some fleece that matched.. thinking new cowl and possible hat :ninja: I where these when I walk so want another to wash and wear.. liked the knit enough to make a top.. which I would never wear with the hat and cowl in case the fashion police spotted me  :S there was a box of the Rose  and Hubble samples so I dived in ...linen look spots I just liked.. the orange and green florals are for dresses for my great niece Ruby ( ruby's doll is my avatar so will have to have a matching dress) bikes ?  Upholstery fabrics Mum has a stool she needs covering and at a £1 a metre it would be rude not too Tartan fleece will make a useful rug for the car I think.. should I have bought more possibly although having to put the sewing on hold for a bit puts a damper on things
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Madame Cholet

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 17:30:05 PM »
I have a friend who needs to purchase fabric for curtains and we have decided it would be a great excuse for us both to have a day out up Burnley way at some point in the nearish future and pop into Immanuel's while we are there. 
:devil: :fabric:
So my questions are, since I cannot find much info online - does anyone know for certain what their opening days and hours are?
And what is the parking situation like? Thank you.

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 17:43:39 PM »
9 to 5 Monday to Saturday... on Street Parking .. it is a small side street you might not be able to park directly outside I don't think they take credit cards .. I have always paid by cash or cheque but give them a ring they are very helpful 07437 818534
I would have a look at prestigious fabrics and Porter and stone online  because they stock a lot of those but they may not have the one you want ... be prepared to search through a lot of rolls of fabric the chaps are happy to haul out the rolls they are heavy.... they had some nice reasonably price wool curtaining as well there is the £1 a metre room and a £2 a metre room
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 17:50:21 PM by Vegegrow »

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 17:44:22 PM »
9 to 5 Monday to Saturday... on Street Parking .. it is a small side street you might not be able to park directly outside I don't think they take credit cards .. I have always paid by cash or cheque but give them a ring they are very helpful 07437 818534
I would have a look at prestigious fabrics and Porter and stone online  because they stock a lot of those but they may not have the one you want ... be prepared to search through a lot of rolls of fabric the chaps are happy to haul out the rolls they are heavy.... they had some nice reasonably price wool curtaining as well there is the £1 a metre room and a £2 a metre room

Oh wow that is great Vege, thanks so much  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 17:59:34 PM by Madame Cholet »

Kad

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 18:35:24 PM »
I have a friend who needs to purchase fabric for curtains and we have decided it would be a great excuse for us both to have a day out up Burnley way at some point in the nearish future and pop into Immanuel's while we are there. 
:devil: :fabric:
So my questions are, since I cannot find much info online - does anyone know for certain what their opening days and hours are?
And what is the parking situation like? Thank you.

If you're interested in curtain fabric, Fine Fabrics at Oakmount Mill on Wiseman St, Burnley has lots of beautiful fabrics, not as cheap as chips, but at a good reduction. Upstairs is full of dressmaking fabric and there's a teashop on site too. It's about 3 mins by car from Immanuel's and has off street parking. There's a sale on at present too  ;)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 18:58:02 PM »
If you're interested in curtain fabric, Fine Fabrics at Oakmount Mill on Wiseman St, Burnley has lots of beautiful fabrics, not as cheap as chips, but at a good reduction. Upstairs is full of dressmaking fabric and there's a teashop on site too. It's about 3 mins by car from Immanuel's and has off street parking. There's a sale on at present too  ;)

That's great, I'll make sure we pay them a visit, and I like the sound of the tea shop  :cake: :ninja:
Kad - Thank You!  :)

It's a good while since I have been to that part of the world and I am really looking forward to this trip.

In the late 90s my daughter and me used to trundle up that way fairly regularly as we had family who lived up there at the time. 

One place that stands out in my memory as being fabulous to visit was a large aquarium/fish pet-shop type place, and for years I have tried to remember exactly where it is. I have looked online but can find nothing that seems to be the place that we visited then. Unfortunately I have no idea what the name of it was called, or even if it is still going. What was stunning was that they had aquaria which I assume they had built into the place themselves that were quite narrow widthwise but were as tall as the ceiling.

I'd love to go back and pay the place a visit. I seem to remember it was away from built-up towny places, and possibly near a by pass.

There was also some kind of mill retail place nearby that stocked Dr Martin seconds as well as tons of other shoes and boots at great prices. That was great to visit too. Docs were quite fashionable at the time and I remember us buying a few pairs from there because the prices were so good.

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 18:59:48 PM »
I can recommend the tea shop...

Vegegrow

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 19:55:30 PM »
If you want to venture as far as Lancaster Standfast and Barracks is great...not that we are enabling of course... :ninja:

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 19:59:13 PM »
Going on Friday next week....

Madame Cholet

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 20:22:52 PM »
If you want to venture as far as Lancaster Standfast and Barracks is great...not that we are enabling of course... :ninja:

I just checked the AA route planner website which informs me that Lancaster is 45 miles on from Burnley.
How dare it be so far away!
Never mind, Standfast and Barracks will be another plan for another day   :ninja: :fabric: