The Sewing Place

Servicing a Bernina 930

twopence

Servicing a Bernina 930
« on: January 07, 2018, 14:21:06 PM »
Is it Leila May who has serviced a Bernina 930?  If so can she give me some tips as I currently have my old one back and DD2 says it is smoking.  I have messaged her in Thailand to ask where from.

Thanks

LeilaMay

Re: Servicing a Bernina 930
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 14:30:53 PM »
No, I have  730, and currently have a non-working 530 but I wouldn't say I was any kind of expert.

Finding out which bit is smoking would be my starting pint too though   -<

Madame Cholet

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 14:58:53 PM »
Oh dear!  :(
If the smoke came from the body of the machine it is likely the capacitor in the circuit board which has blown.

The 930s have an electronic circuit board inside the machine which has a capacitor on it, and these capacitors give up with age. When they fail they do so without warning and produce smoke.

I would advise anyone with a 930 to get it serviced regularly by a certified Bernina technician.

Although I clean and oil my 930 myself and have unlocked the seized-up mechanical parts it had when I got it, it goes to Bambers in Salford for a thorough service every couple of years so they can do the necessary checks on the circuit boards and the electricals.

The first time I sent it there they swapped out the old capacitor on the circuit board and replaced it with a new one, as a precautionary measure.

If I were you I would give Bambers a ring and ask their advice, they are really lovely and helpful. Their telephone number is 0161 707 7786.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 15:07:25 PM by Madame Cholet »

twopence

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 15:17:57 PM »
Thanks Madame Cholet.  I do have a very good Bernina engineer not far away and know he will service it for me.  I was just wondering what it might be and having had a quick look this morning it looks quite clean and dust/lint free where I’ve looked.  I think that DD2 thought I’d take it straight to Steve and not look but I need to know where it smoked and would rather that Steve looked at a clean machine than a dirty one.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 15:57:27 PM »
Thanks Madame Cholet.  I do have a very good Bernina engineer not far away and know he will service it for me.  I was just wondering what it might be and having had a quick look this morning it looks quite clean and dust/lint free where I’ve looked.  I think that DD2 thought I’d take it straight to Steve and not look but I need to know where it smoked and would rather that Steve looked at a clean machine than a dirty one.

I'm so glad you have a good Bernina tech locally  0_0
The circuit board which is inside the machine itself is around the rear of the machine, hidden away inside. If it is not the capacitor in that board, it could be an issue with the motor or the foot pedal even, but not knowing where the smoke came from it is difficult to say.
Please do keep us updated, I have my fingers crossed for you.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 15:59:49 PM by Madame Cholet »